lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
rmoss
Not Yet Wild

Default 2013 Governor Mod?

I have a 2013 with Fuel Injection and have tightened the 10mm governor nut but am considering doing away with the governor using a replacement arm out of aluminum bar stock and keeping it from coming off by using a grounding lug on the top of the shaft. Since the original arm is also a return spring I assume I will need to provide a return spring for the arm. Is that correct? What effect will this have on the rest of the governor inside the trans; is it going to be stressed by I assume being against it's working limits? Also being Fuel Injected and having already given it twice the air flow with filter housing modifications do I need to worry about it being too lean at the higher RPM's? I have seen any posts on the Fuel Injected carts being modified.
rmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2013 Governor Mod?

Well the Fi PCM has its own rpm limiter built in as well. When you hit it, you will hate its "jerkyness". It just cuts out for a second then comes back on and repeats that. As far as running lean, im not sure, it runs soley off its map, no O2 sensor, no way for it to really know its mixture is lean so it can compensate for your mods.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
rmoss
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I agree but physicaly it is the same arm as the other models. I went ahead and built the new arm and was going to make adjustments but the first time I applied some pedal the cable broke. Pulling it out you could see that it was pretty much just hanging on by a single strand of cable wire. I recall when purchasing the cart a few weeks ago asking if there were any common problems and the salesman said throttle cable, and that they replace it on all their used carts before they sold them. That being said when I get a new one I need to closely inspect why there is a wear point at near the end of the cable at the pedal end. It must be a known issue so maybe you can offer some advice. Also after reinstalling I need to make sure that the cable travel limits do not reach max before the gas peddle is fully depressed. Advice here would be very helpful or possibly that will not be possible with the new arm?? We will see.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
dbmachine
Gone Wild

You adjust the throttle cable at the governor arm that leads to the FI throttle body. Some adjust at the foot pedal but can put too much tension on the cable and snap it like you did. The idea is to adjust the cable so that the butterfly opens and touches the stopper right before the pedal hits the firewall to ensure you get max throttle. But here is the kicker on the FI carts. Unlike the carb carts you can bypass the governor and rev the cart enough to blow the engine. The FI carts even if you completely bypass the governor the computer has a built in rpm limiter as well. Don't think anybody has developed a program or tuner to bypass this limiter. So even though you bypass the governor the carb carts are still gonna run circles around you on top speed.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
rmoss
Not Yet Wild

I think I'll just hook the injector side cable to the arm with a spring; that way it will never stress the cable and eliminate all the adjusting. The internal limiter is interesting; curious as to how it works, retards timing, cuts spark, what? Anyone know?
Old 04-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Rmoss a lot of the carts come from Newnan Georgia where they are built with the throttle cables not adjusted properly. Adjust alittle at the governor side and a little at the pedal and you will be fine. The cable directly to the arm method with a spring can be dicey just have to make sure the arm is closing all the way when you let off the pedal or you will be backfiring like crazy.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
rmoss
Not Yet Wild

You aren't understanding what I did. I completely did away with the original governor arm and fabricated a new one to replace it made of 1/2"X1" aluminum billet stock with a 21/64" hole for the governor shaft. The travel of the arm is far more than what the #2 throttle cable can allow hitting the max opening of the injector body before half the travel of the gas pedal is applied. That is why I had to use a spring from the new arm to connect the #2 cable; to eliminate the dead stop. No other way to do it with this setup; you cannot overcome the problem by adjusting. No adjusting is needed with this setup. With the stock arm the arm spring takes care of that and why some people are successful by drilling out the top hole of the stock arm, and sounds like a good bit of adjusting.
Now how it performs. There evidently is no internal governor on this cart as it appears it will just keep going faster until it blows up. I say appears because I never came close to top speed, backing out of it at probably 35mph with plenty of throttle left. I have to say it is dangerous and I'm having serious doubts as whether to leave it that way or not.
In any case it was a fun project and accomplished what I set our to do. If I go back to the stock arm, likely, the exercise was still very entertaining.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
dbmachine
Gone Wild

10-4 sounds good man. Wouldn't hurt to use some good Mobil 1 10w30 if you haven't already
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha