lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #11
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Night of the Living Dead? Cart works, then doesn't, then does, then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flafishergal View Post
How to check the electrolyte levels? I remember having some kind of suction looking thing-- is that is? lol

The batteries are G111 code so I think that means from 2011, so quite a bit older than I expected. But I still don't want to give up on the batteries until I'm sure they're cooked. They were working perfectly up until now-- cart had tons of pep and went a long way without dying.

We had Trojans on our last cart that were over 5 years old, but we were very loving with them. This is a new-to-us-cart so I don't know.
At this point all we want to make sure of is that the plates in the batteries are not exposed to air as that causes damage to them... Remove the caps one at a time from the top of the batteries and make sure that all cells have liquid covering the plates by 1/4" to 1/2" if any are exposed add only enough distilled water to cover the (do not flood them) plates by 1/4" and see if they will accept a charge...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #12
flafishergal
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Night of the Living Dead? Cart works, then doesn't, then does, then...

Going to check the water level first thing in the morning. I put the charger back on for just a little while to see what happens-- dropped down to about 6 and hung there for 30 minutes until shutting off. I'll check the volts in the am as well. (Hoping they don't lose any power overnight.)
flafishergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Going to check the water level first thing in the morning. I put the charger back on for just a little while to see what happens-- dropped down to about 6 and hung there for 30 minutes until shutting off. I'll check the volts in the am as well. (Hoping they don't lose any power overnight.)
This right here tells that something is not right either in the charger or batteries as for as discharged as you say they are the charger should be going balls out for hours not minutes...
Old 05-14-2016, 06:40 AM   #14
crash test dummy

1/4" to 1/2 " over plates
Old 05-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #15
flafishergal
Not Yet Wild

Water level was good. Batteries still have the same charge: all but one read 8.05, the last is at 8.0. The battery plates do look like they have sulphur pretty heavy on them. Should I bother trying to desulphanate them? If so, how long might it take and which unit should I by either for permanent install and/or curing the issue?

What should the electrolyte test show? (I'm going to get a tester now.)

Thanks again, all.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #16
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Water level was good. Batteries still have the same charge: all but one read 8.05, the last is at 8.0. The battery plates do look like they have sulphur pretty heavy on them. Should I bother trying to desulphanate them? If so, how long might it take and which unit should I by either for permanent install and/or curing the issue?

What should the electrolyte test show? (I'm going to get a tester now.)

Thanks again, all.
Not worth the time and effort on a set of what appears to be 5 year old batteries... Replace them and stay on top of keeping the new ones plugged into a charger as much as practical... Even better to invest in a DPI Accusense (SmartCharger) as it will keep a float charge on your batteries holding them above 100 % SOC 24/7 this will help ward off sulphation....
Old 05-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Don't waste your time on those batteries.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #18
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Night of the Living Dead? Cart works, then doesn't, then does, then...

Agree...replace batteries and have all the cables cleaned or replaced at the same time.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #19
flafishergal
Not Yet Wild

Okay, new batteries it is. I've got a call into the guy who works on my cart and we'll see what he's got. I'm hoping for Trojan's again since they were so great in my last cart.

Just as an aside question... our local golf shop sells "manufactured by Trojan" that I assume are branded with their store name or maybe no name at all. They're asking 99 apiece. What are your thoughts?

This is the ad: GET YOUR GOLF CART POWERED UP WITH OUR NEW C**** GOLF CARTS ENDURANCE XT-8, 8 VOLT DEEP CYCLE HEAVY DUTY BATTERIES.BATTERIES COME WITH 24 MONTH WARRANTY. YOUR COST IS $99.95 EACH WITH CORE ($109.95 INSTALLED WITH ADDITIONAL SERVICE FEE).

(I'm not going to buy them since there's another place not too far away that sells the Trojan's for 109)
Old 05-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #20
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Okay, new batteries it is. I've got a call into the guy who works on my cart and we'll see what he's got. I'm hoping for Trojan's again since they were so great in my last cart.

Just as an aside question... our local golf shop sells "manufactured by Trojan" that I assume are branded with their store name or maybe no name at all. They're asking 99 apiece. What are your thoughts?

This is the ad: GET YOUR GOLF CART POWERED UP WITH OUR NEW C**** GOLF CARTS ENDURANCE XT-8, 8 VOLT DEEP CYCLE HEAVY DUTY BATTERIES.BATTERIES COME WITH 24 MONTH WARRANTY. YOUR COST IS $99.95 EACH WITH CORE ($109.95 INSTALLED WITH ADDITIONAL SERVICE FEE).

(I'm not going to buy them since there's another place not too far away that sells the Trojan's for 109)
Manf by Trojan yes but to what spec? If it does not have the name brand boldly emblazoned then it is not brand name and may be built to a lower level of quality as per the buyers spec...

Also to keep in mind that Trojan makes a DC-8 which is a 160 amp hour battery and then steps up to the ever popular T-875 which has 170 amp hour to which these brand XXX batteries may be the smaller of the two...

Myself I don't regret buying Crowns I regret not buying the biggest in their barn the CR-190 or the Trojan Rangers....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car