lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #11
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2012 Precedent issue: Cart is Stopping and going...jerky like.

What is your current pack voltage? If it is too low the charger will not kick on. You can boost the voltage without too much trouble with a 12 volt car charger hooked up to one or two batteries at a time to help "perk" them up. No more than a few minutes each battery... Then your charger may indeed kick on...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #12
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
since it sounds like the cart is newish to you and we just solved a similar issue make sure that the small red charging wire is indeed hooked up to your main battery (+) post on the right rear most battery. It will have a large heavy red wire also hooked up there too....
All connections are secured. When I built cart I was very thorough when going through all the connections etc.
Charger made slight buzz when first plugged in but needle never moved and it never pulled any amps.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #13
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
What is your current pack voltage? If it is too low the charger will not kick on. You can boost the voltage without too much trouble with a 12 volt car charger hooked up to one or two batteries at a time to help "perk" them up. No more than a few minutes each battery... Then your charger may indeed kick on...
It read 42.5 when I pulled it In. I've charged at lower voltages on older carts etc when I've rebuilt in past. Not 100% certain it would not be enough to trip charger on, but they usually have to be very low to not kick the charger on (like 30 volts or less).
Resting voltage previously was 50.5 after 12 hours. Just last week.
Stock wiring and the only thing I did was connect new motor. Made sure to use two wrenches when installing on motor terminals etc. so as to prevent damage when tightening.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #14
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
It read 42.5 when I pulled it In. I've charged at lower voltages on older carts etc when I've rebuilt in past. Not 100% certain it would not be enough to trip charger on, but they usually have to be very low to not kick the charger on (like 30 volts or less).
My recollection is that if the voltage cut off is right around that 40 to 42 range with the modern OBC controlled carts....
Old 05-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #15
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Now pack is up to 47v. Charger still not kicking on. My guess is charger is smoked.

Unless there is anything else to check, who want to sell me a charger??!!!! Crisp 50 dollar bill to be had! Hahahahahaha.

Make that multiple 50 dollar bills. Hahaha.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #16
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Now pack is up to 47v. Charger still not kicking on. My guess is charger is smoked.

Unless there is anything else to check, who want to sell me a charger??!!!! Crisp 50 dollar bill to be had! Hahahahahaha.

Make that multiple 50 dollar bills. Hahaha.
My opinion is purchase a 17 amp DPI Accusense Charger intended for use on NON-OBC carts from ScottyB or any other sponsor vendor here as the re-wire is super simple and it will keep your batteries in tip/top SOC ...
Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 PM   #17
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

You might also try disconnecting the main pack negative for a couple minutes then reconnect it as this will reset the OBC and perhaps it will come on after that....
Old 05-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #18
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
You might also try disconnecting the main pack negative for a couple minutes then reconnect it as this will reset the OBC and perhaps it will come on after that....
Thanks my friend. I see you're from Tennessee. Beautiful state. Good people for the most part too.
Sister State to my beloved Texas.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #19
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks my friend. I see you're from Tennessee. Beautiful state. Good people for the most part too.
Sister State to my beloved Texas.
I'm from all over... Born in Houma LA, worked all over the TX coast, lived in MI for close to 20 years, moved lakeside in TN a couple years ago...

The Power Drive 3 charger that came with my cart blew out its diodes so that was my excuse to by a DPI but I fixed the PD3 and sold it to recoup most of the DPI cost...

Silly but make sure that the AC outlet the charger is plugged into is powered up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger Jumper.jpg (188.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #20
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: 2012 Precedent issue: Cart is Stopping and going...jerky like.

There are tests to determine if the charger is the problem or if the OBC is bad...don't just assume it's a charger without testing...plus their are plenty of charger repair parts available and the repairs are fairly straightforward. If your OBC is bad then step up to a smart charger.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car