lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
dcramer
Not Yet Wild

Default early 80s yamaha golf cart doesnt run

Hello all, I am new to the golf cart scene. I just bought a early 80s Yamaha gas cart. when you step on the gas to start it, the engine turns over and tries to start but doesn't quite start all the way. then if you shift it to reverse, it will start and take off and run in reverse. then if you stop and shift it back to fwd it might go or it might try and not go. choking it doesn't seam to help. im a good mechanic and have worked on engines all my life, but ive never messed with a golf cart and the starter gen thing seams kinda strange to me. it seams to be more of a fuel issue to me, but the running in reverse thing is kinda throwing me off. any ideas? any help would be great. Thanks
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: early 80s yamaha golf cart doesnt run

If it runs in reverse then theoretically it should run forward as well because the motor runs one way for forward and the other way for reverse (its a 2 stroke motor that can spin over in either direction). I'm wondering if it has something to do with an electrical issue. Did you check for spark in forward and reverse? Might be a bad CDI if you only have spark in one direction ( not common but not impossible to happen either). Check out this thread and see if it helps you with any http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...questions.html. Look closely for any loose or corroded wire connections because that seems to be a big problem with these older carts. Grounding problems are also an issue on these carts because there is not ground running to the chassis.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
dcramer
Not Yet Wild

no, I haven't checked for spark yet, I haven't even taken the cover off yet to get to the engine. it doesn't always run in reverse, some times it acts the same as forward. then sometimes it takes off and runs like crazy forward and wont run in reverse.it just seams like its not getting fuel to run all the time. but as soon as I get a chance, ill pull the body off and check my spark. I was just looking for a starting point. where on this thing can I find a model number or manufacturer tag?
Old 07-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

On the frame behind the driver side rear wheel for an early 80's G1. The motor also has a serial number stamped on it. It will start with J. Example: Jxx-xxxxxx http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...-20locator.jpg.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It could be a fuel problem but I was assuming it ran all the time in reverse just not in forward. You can check the fuel by disconnecting the fuel line from the carb and pressing the gas pedal(make sure the rear end is off the ground incase it turns over and tries to take off). I had a fuel issue with my cart awhile back because the crank seals were shot. The fuel pump is a pulse pump that works off of the crank case pressure. Bad crank seals or a cracked vacuum line will keep you from getting enough pressure for the fuel pump to work properly. I would start there if you are worried it is a fuel delivery issue. Also, check the common stuff first like clogged fuel filter, dirty carb, gunk in the fuel lines, etc.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
dcramer
Not Yet Wild

after researching my problem with the cart, I have figured that it has almost got to be the crankshaft seals. I have been looking online for the parts and I keep finding a package that shows two seals in it, but it says its for the clutch side. is there two seals in this one side? and I haven't found a seal for the other side. does anyone show an exploded view of this engine so I can figure out what parts I need or does anyone know the part numbers. it is a 85 Yamaha g1, I found the serial and year.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamaha-par...5_440_660.html

There's other exploded views on this site if you need reference numbers. Could also give a site sponsor a call and they'll be able to hook you up with what you need.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha