lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
paul1968
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Brake switch hook up

Yes we do have a napa in ct thank you and my neighbor works there. ill hit him up tomorrow. its a start at least. Ill work on wiring later
paul1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #12
paul1968
Not Yet Wild

The relay from napa doesn't have the 85 terminal on it will it still work?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1968 View Post
The relay from napa doesn't have the 85 terminal on it will it still work?
I can't answer that because I have not bought and tried one from NAPA. It should have 2 coil terminals (85 and 86) and at least 2 contact terminals, common (30) and normally open (87). Some Bosch type relays have a normally closed (87a) contact terminal, which you won't use. Are you sure that it's missing 85, or could it be 87a?
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:21 AM   #14
paul1968
Not Yet Wild

Bob it has an 2-87 terminals, 1-87a terminal, 1-30 terminal and 1-86 terminal. 5
terminals total
Old 01-31-2017, 04:55 AM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Bob it has an 2-87 terminals, 1-87a terminal, 1-30 terminal and 1-86 terminal. 5
terminals total
Ok, it has the right number of terminals. Here is the pin layout pattern of the proper relay.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24V Relay Pinout.jpg (212.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-31-2017, 06:08 AM   #16
paul1968
Not Yet Wild

I really believe I only need a brake switch but I'm sure this relay is just as easy. It just bothers me I cant find who makes theses lights and harness. the 2 groups of wires are a harness red/orange and the red to ground is 12v the other group of 3 wires have a orange/green/white. White to positive is 12v and it has continuity to tail lights(I assume white is the lights ground wire). orange from one harness to the other has continuity. the only wire I cant find until I open dash is green wire.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 AM   #17
paul1968
Not Yet Wild

And all 5 wires have female spade connectors and the red /orange connectors in one group are smaller than red/green/orange in the other group. I can only assume its so when plugging in horn and brake switch it cant be screwed up
Old 01-31-2017, 07:52 AM   #18
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I really believe I only need a brake switch but I'm sure this relay is just as easy. It just bothers me I cant find who makes theses lights and harness. the 2 groups of wires are a harness red/orange and the red to ground is 12v the other group of 3 wires have a orange/green/white. White to positive is 12v and it has continuity to tail lights(I assume white is the lights ground wire). orange from one harness to the other has continuity. the only wire I cant find until I open dash is green wire.
A brake light switch may be fine for most carts, but the RXV is not like most carts. The RXV automatically applies regenerative braking as soon as you let up on the throttle pedal. This coast-down will slow you to a complete stop and apply the motor brake once you stop. And this is whether you are on a downhill slope or not. The idea of controller operation of the brake lights is to warn those behind you that you are slowing down. The parameters that control when the brake lights come on is adjustable, with a programmer, but the default settings are for full automatic operation.

On my 2012, the dealer had installed lights. The harness he installed was hardwired for headlight/tail lights only. I was in the same position that you are in. I decided to add turn signals and brake lights. So I had to delve into the dealer added accessory harness and cut the brake LEDs loose from the tail light LEDs. I found in the harness where the brake LED wires were bonded to the tail light LEDs. I removed those bonds and ran seperate left and right wires to the harness from the rear. I split the front LED wiring apart as well and had to run 4 seperate wires to the cupholder area. I had to add a 24V relay and a 12V flasher unit, and a turn signal switch to the steering column. When I was finished, I had fully functional road legal lighting. I added a stock horn switch to the floorboard and a car horn in the front behind the cowl. If you were closer, I would help you in person.

If you are only wanting to add brake lights, it's a lot simpler. You will only need to ensure that your brake lights are actually wired to a seperate brake light wire, and run that wire to the 24V relay, terminal 87. Then run another wire from your 12V lighting power to terminal 30. The main harness red and purple wires already have lugs on them that will connect to terminals 85 and 86 as shown in my earlier posts. They may be marked different, but those positions should be the 24V relay coil terminals. Polarity is not important in an actual relay.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:33 AM   #19
paul1968
Not Yet Wild

Bob I think I'm gonna take the route you talked about with the relay. I pulled cup holder this morning the wire harness has a 9 pin plug under dash but I believe there are only 8 wires in there. Under floor there are 1-green 1-red 1-white that tie back into 9 pin plug but the 2 orange wires just loop between 2 harnesses and go nowhere. Under the hood I have a blue and white wire labeled horn. I know that white with this harness is ground and the running lights are the red wire and the blinker at some point will be the black wire. I do in the future want blinkers but want to put floor back together at this point. I'm sure in the future a blinker kit will wire right up to the 9 pin plug.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #20
paul1968
Not Yet Wild

Bob just checked for continuity and I have continuity between the front and rear lights on the red wire. So if I hook up brake relay it wont really work unless I separate front and rear light circuit
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO