lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
RR4406PAK
Not Yet Wild

Default Keeping Club Car running in cold weather?

Have an 88' Club Car with original engine.
It was 10 degrees this past weekend and the kids still wanted to ride.
Only way I could get the cart to run was to take off the air box and hold my hand over the air cleaner air intake (the stupid big black choke button is useless!!!).
So to let the kids ride I just put a piece of masking tape over 50% the air intake:

The cart did run. Good, but not great and did the job.
In warm weather the cart runs fine.
Does everyone's cart have a hard time in cold weather? Or do I just have big carburetor problems?

Thinking about fabricating some kind of mechanical choke in the airbox hose for this situation...
RR4406PAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
cartpartsplusman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Keeping Club Car running in cold weather?

if carb is clean it sould run in cold we run them ice fishing in mi the reason the choke is useless is becuse it either not tight on the clamps of has a hole in the belows or the box .it works just like putting your hand over the spoot on the air cleaner
cartpartsplusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartpartsplusman View Post
if carb is clean it sould run in cold we run them ice fishing in mi the reason the choke is useless is becuse it either not tight on the clamps of has a hole in the belows or the box .it works just like putting your hand over the spoot on the air cleaner
X2. Check that hose clamp, any little leak will render the choke button useless.

One other thing I saw with some of these older carts at our campground is the the large square airboxes (on the 1984-1991 carts) had burn holes in them on the bottom side from accidentally being set on top of the hot exhaust pipe once removed. The hot pipe melts a hole right through the plastic, and many times you don't realize there's a hole unless you know where to look. A hole in the air box will also render the choke button useless. The airbox on my cart right now has this damage, but I filled and fixed it with some silicone a few years ago.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
RR4406PAK
Not Yet Wild

Does anyone sell the air box assembly? Or do I have to find a used one somewhere?

My square air box is fine but the flexible accordion tube from air box to the air filter is cracked in between the pleats/folds (previous owner attempted to patch with a load of electrical tape ).
Old 03-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

That cracked-up accordion tube may be the leak that's neutralizing your choke button.

Nobody I'm aware of sells the old airboxes. Club Car used to sell a long accordion tube that would replace the large square air box completely (the tube would just run from where you have your masking tape right to the back of the choke button. Every once in awhile they pop up on eBay. If you're handy you could probably make a replacement tube.

Here's a photo of that setup with the long tube in place of the airbox:

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

fabricate one out of pvc pipe with a short run of flex tubing,a trip to home depot or Lowes could give ya all the parts ya need
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #7
saladsack
Not Yet Wild

I had this issue with the air intake. It would only run if I let a specific amount of air in using my hand. I cleaned the carburetor twice and had no more issue. It runs great in the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
saladsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yank out the main jet and open it up a wee bit ,about .002 with a welding tip cleaner
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
RR4406PAK
Not Yet Wild

I scored one of the Club Car airbox replacement tubes off ebay!
The guy had 3 of them and they sold out within a day.
Hopefully this will help my problem.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #10
RR4406PAK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by saladsack View Post
I had this issue with the air intake. It would only run if I let a specific amount of air in using my hand. I cleaned the carburetor twice and had no more issue. It runs great in the cold.
How did you go about cleaning your carb?
Did you just pull it off and hit it with carb cleaner? Or did you change all the gaskets? Remove the jets?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car