lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Anyway to trade Range for Power?

I usually drive my cart 2-3 miles max at a time. Maybe 5 miles a couple times a month. On road only in a very hilly neighborhood.
Is there anything I can do to maximize power and give up range?

Thanks
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Anyway to trade Range for Power?

Considering you are already at 48v, and 400a......it would require either a different motor, like the MOT-A4 (which will get you roughly 6 hp more)....OR jump to an even higher voltage, which would require LOTS of new stuff.

and its not so much range you would be giving up but speed.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
Melnic
Not Yet Wild

Are you trying to go faster (top end speed)? Faster up hills? more acceleration?
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Top speed is good at about 25 mph in flats. On the steepest hills is slows to about 15. Other than lower gearing, prob no easy fix.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

1. Shorter tires will increase torque where rubber meets road throughout the motor's RPM spectrum. This will lower the top speed on level ground, but will also lessen the percentage of the top speed the cart slows going uphill. (This is effectively a gear change since it changes the final drive ratio)

2. Contact Alltrax. They may have a field map for a B2 motor with less field weakening at the top end of the RPM spectrum. This will lower top speed on level ground, but the B2 motor will generate more torque at higher RPM, so cart won't slow as much going uphill.

3. Contact Chuck at EMC (I'm not sure about company name - but they make custom motors) Maybe your B2 can be rewound to have higher high end torque or a motor with the torque profile you need is available.

4. Go to a 48V Lithium battery pack. This gives you a double gain.
a. Less weight to lug up the hill against gravity, so cart doesn't slow as much.
b. The voltage of a Lithium battery pack doesn't drop as much under load as Lead-Acid, so more voltage will be applied to motor while going uphill, producing more torque due to the increased amp flow due to the higher applied voltage, so the cart won't slow as much.

5. Install a sail and pray for an updraft.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You didn't give any parameters or cost limits, so.....

Sell cart and get RXV which will in STOCK configuration and 20" tires run 22-24mph on the flats and hold most of that speed (20-21mph) up that same hill you are slowing to 15 mph on, even with an additional adult passenger.

On my test hill my 48v TXT slows to 16mph from 22 and on that same hill my RXV slows from 23 to 21 measured by GPS. By "seat of the pants" it appears to not slow at all.
Likely you won't give up range either.
Your mileage may vary.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like all I need is a pile of cash
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO