lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Connected Alltrax to laptop, now error codes

I was able to get a reading at the controller. Same voltages. 3.8 up and 3.5 down. I've ordered a new ITS.
VanillaXtract is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I would suspect the firmware, before you start changing out parts. As you said, nothing else changed, and it worked before. Alltrax could probably help you roll back to the previous firmware.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaXtract View Post
I was able to get a reading at the controller. Same voltages. 3.8 up and 3.5 down. I've ordered a new ITS.
With the ITS Sensor disconnected, did you measure the voltage at the controller or in the pedal box?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #14
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
With the ITS Sensor disconnected, did you measure the voltage at the controller or in the pedal box?
No. I pulled the batteries and decided to get started on replacing my motor since the cart was out of commission. Hopefully tonight.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Randomly changing parts is not only costly, it also doesn't help you improve your troubleshooting skills.

The first question to ask is what did I change right before the problem started.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #16
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
7.5V with the sensor disconnected. Installed a new ITS and same readings as before. 3.8V up and 3.5V down. If I set the throttle type to Pump it gives me a green light but I didn't drive it since I know that is wrong.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #17
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Randomly changing parts is not only costly, it also doesn't help you improve your troubleshooting skills.

The first question to ask is what did I change right before the problem started.
I understand and agree. Alltrax basically said the firmware update couldn’t have caused my issues and it was a coincidence.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaXtract View Post
7.5V with the sensor disconnected. Installed a new ITS and same readings as before. 3.8V up and 3.5V down. If I set the throttle type to Pump it gives me a green light but I didn't drive it since I know that is wrong.
This indicates either the wiring from the controller to the sensor is bad or the controller itself is bad.

Was the wiring from controller to sensor connected when you got 7.5V. If it was, disconnect and get a voltage reading at the controller jack without anything connected. It ought to be 10V or higher.

The ITS circuit has three parts, two are in the controller (power source and throttle position decoder) and the ITS Sensor in the pedal box, plus the wiring connecting everything together.

The ITS Sensor draws more amps (milliamps actually) as the iron slug move by the pedal is inserted into it. EZGO/Curtis feeds it a constant voltage and uses the variation in voltage across the ITS Sensor to determine the pedal position, but they have a patent on that process, so Alltrax had to come up with a "new and novel" way to use the patented device to avoid paying royalties. Apparently they use a constant current source instead of a constant voltage power source and the applied voltage decreases as the impedance of the ITS Sensor decreases (draws more amps) so the current remains the same.

What we have in your cart is either a bad constant current source in the controller, or there is a partial short in the wiring putting a current path in parallel with the ITS Sensor and less 4V is needed to pump the expected amp flow between the black and white wires.

-------------
Troubleshooting is a process that needs to be exploited fully in order to not waste funds by needlessly replacing parts.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #19
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
This indicates either the wiring from the controller to the sensor is bad or the controller itself is bad.

Was the wiring from controller to sensor connected when you got 7.5V. If it was, disconnect and get a voltage reading at the controller jack without anything connected. It ought to be 10V or higher.

The ITS circuit has three parts, two are in the controller (power source and throttle position decoder) and the ITS Sensor in the pedal box, plus the wiring connecting everything together.

The ITS Sensor draws more amps (milliamps actually) as the iron slug move by the pedal is inserted into it. EZGO/Curtis feeds it a constant voltage and uses the variation in voltage across the ITS Sensor to determine the pedal position, but they have a patent on that process, so Alltrax had to come up with a "new and novel" way to use the patented device to avoid paying royalties. Apparently they use a constant current source instead of a constant voltage power source and the applied voltage decreases as the impedance of the ITS Sensor decreases (draws more amps) so the current remains the same.

What we have in your cart is either a bad constant current source in the controller, or there is a partial short in the wiring putting a current path in parallel with the ITS Sensor and less 4V is needed to pump the expected amp flow between the black and white wires.

-------------
Troubleshooting is a process that needs to be exploited fully in order to not waste funds by needlessly replacing parts.
I get 7.5V at the controller with the harness disconnected. Called Alltrax and they agree there is a problem with the controller.

My next concern is speculating what may have happened to the controller so it doesn't reoccur. For some reason, the controller went bad when I connected my laptop. Like I said earlier, a couple of other people have had this problem. What went wrong?
Old 05-24-2018, 04:50 PM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I can't help with PDS controllers, but since the initial post was last week, I forgot what you posted.

I went back and reread your first post. I misspoke when I stated the only thing that changed was your firmwware. The first thing that changed was your batteries from 36 volt lead/acid to 48 volt LiOn. You indicated that the cart ran but you had throttle problems after the battery change, then completely died with the firmware upgrade.

Did you place the cart in Tow mode while changing out the batteries?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO