lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Charger not turning on - 2003 DS

My charger is not turning on at all. I've changed outlets and even doing an OBC reset (putting it in TOW and disconnecting negative cable on battery 6 for like 20 minutes). I checked the fuse in the yellow holder coming off the charge port but it's fine. Batteries measure around 49 volts.

I've only had this cart for about 4 months and so far not had a charging issue until this past Thursday. We had a really bad wind/thunderstorm Wednesday night. Tree even fell on my house, but I digress. I did an OBC reset and then it started charging. I figured the OBC went into some kind of fault mode.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Trying to sell this thing so I can upgrade to something decent.
brett92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charger not turning on - 2003 DS

Update:

So I tried another OBC reset, but no change. I then moved the charger to another wall outlet - it started right up. Charger shut off around 30 seconds later (always done this), and then started again and ran for about 5 minutes and shut down.

Here's the weird part - I left it connected even though it wasn't charging. Out of curiosity I walk out to the garage 30 minutes later and notice it's charging again. I checked it another time about 15 minutes later and it had stopped.

So it appears to be turning itself on/off for some reason at random times. I checked the battery pack voltage and it was 50.2 - which is around 80% according to the SOC charts.

Wondering if maybe the receptacle is bad. I feel some movement int he receptacle when I plug it in and pull it out. Is there a good test for that?

One last thing - SOC is around 80% but my battery meter on dash is halfway mark - not sure if that's a clue or what.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Do you have another charger (Powerdrive, PD2 or PD3) to try on it from a friend or neighbor?

Could also be something loose inside the charger. I would have thought the OBC, but it worked when you moved it so that makes me think connection issue.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yeah it's strange - I'm trying to track down a pattern here but can't. No other chargers unfortunately. I may get with David and have him look at it.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Check the terminals in the receptacle for corrosion. Clean them with contact cleaner and a small pipe brush. Also check the pins in the charge plug for dirt/corrosion.
Chek the condition of the grey sense wire coming out of the back of the receptacle. Check for corrosion or fraying of the wire. I usually give them a light tug. If the wire is damaged it will probably break. New receptacle would be necessary anyway.

Your cart looks pretty clean, so it may not be an issue on yours, but mine get run on gravel and in other dusty areas and the receptacles get silty sandy dirt down in the terminals. Eventually it can prevent the charge plug from being inserted all the way, causing a poor connection. I have made it a point to make sure to blast them out with compressed air after every season to clear away any debris in the terminals.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car