lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
Lrbergin
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor Upgrade - Are They All a Compromise?

I’ve read through a bunch of motor threads to try to do my homework but it seems to me that upgrade motors are a compromise of torque or speed. I have recently swapped out my controller to an XCT 400 amp, added heavy duty solenoid, and upgraded the cables to 2G. You guys know the natural progression of things and next is the motor. I’ve got an 07 IQ cart with stock tires at the moment but may upgrade to 22” in the next year or so. I’m currently am getting around 20 ish right now on flat ground. It’s a neighborhood cruiser and I’ve got some rolling hills. I’d like to get around 25 and eliminate the “dogging out” on the hills if possible. The speed motors seem to come with a loss of torque and the torque motors come with a loss of speed. Can anyone recommend a happy medium? The general consensus seems to be everybody is happy with their motor no matter what they get so maybe I’m over thinking it. I’m not looking to go crazy fast, just maintain low to mid twenties speeds up moderate hills if possible but I’m not sure if it is.
Lrbergin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Motor Upgrade - Are They All a Compromise?

AMD 7144 enough said.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have the PQ executioner and it is not only faster but does have noticeably more torque than the stock motor. I’d reach out to a site sponsor and get their opinion based on your anticipated usage.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I put a FSIP speed motor in my 2014 Precedent. The 5 hp motor was a solid 40% power increase over the stock motor. We used a XCT300 control and got 27.5 mph with quicker acceleration on moderate hills.
Same motor in my TXT48 with a XCT 400 same speed but stronger.
Motor doesn't cost an arm and leg either

As far as disappointments go I think people fail to understand speed and torque are in constant trade off in an electrical motor. Electrical motors make their most torque at their lowest rpms... and they make their least torque at their most rpms (speed). That's why electric carts slow on hills. I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes everything is a compromise between torque, speed and runtime. You CAN have more torque and more speed but runtime will be less etc etc etc

Figure out what compromise you can live with and pull the trigger. You’ll be part of the “everyone is happy with their motor” club too!

PS- you’ll never get to where the cart doesn’t slow down (some) going uphill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Everything said is true, with my setup, in my signature I can play 45 holes of golf and she still runs strong. I posted once I don't recall off hand but the SOC was very good.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
Lrbergin
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Kind of sounds like I was thinking and it is a trade off.

ScottyB you think the FSIP MOT-A3 or A4 would be a better choice?

Still trying to figure out what's best for my needs. That PQ sounds pretty good but honestly so does the 7144. Back to the "can't go wrong" thing I guess.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

It would be nice if someone with access to all of these motors would do a shootout with various tests and document the results like car magazines. That would solve a lot of questions asked by many people.

My executioner plain HAULS!!! The mid range power is crazy. However I live in Miami that is flat as a pancake. But to your point, I have no clue what would happen on a hill. It might fall on its face and you would hate it. I doubt it but really have no idea. The one downside is it’s probably the most expensive DC motor out there.

And my neighbor has the Admiral A2, but he’s still running lead acid batteries so we can’t even compare our two carts. His cart is no slouch, I can say that.

Scotty and Tahoe are the best resource here.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

For an IQ cart and an XCT controller, I would definitely go with an Plum Quick Executioner. It will run off and leave the A2 and A4 with any map and since you use an XCT controller, the Executioner II Field Map from Alltrax will allow give you unbelievable torque and speed right out the box.... This is riding torque, not pulling and plowing; for that kind of torque, the A4 is the better choice.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #10
Lrbergin
Not Yet Wild

I've yet to hear anyone say one bad thing about the executioner. I didn't realize that one was an upgrade to the existing motor so I'm guessing another $100 or so in shipping but all the smiling faces can't be wrong.

I'm in the buy it once buy it right group so maybe PQ is the way to go as I'm looking for riding torque.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car