lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
SpringerNC
Not Yet Wild

Default Flywheel Cover

Have a 200ish Club Carry all cart, I just landed for free. No fire....working on that.....Is is possible to get the flywheel cover off past the frame l-bend part? Seems like there has to be a trick I am missing. Removing the engine to get the fly wheel cover off seems insane....I have it completley loose, just seems there is no way to get the cover clear to replace the ignitor.
SpringerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Flywheel Cover

on a 2000-ish the coil and ignitor should be one piece. Yes you have to pull the motor to access it, or at least pull it most of the way. IF you remove the exhaust and the drive belt, unbolt the motor so you can lean it up at about a 45 degree angle and you can replace the coil without COMPLETELY removing the engine... but you're still most of the way there.

Check the RPM/rev limiter on the front of the motor (towards the seat). Those are known to go bad more often than coils. Disconnect the ground wire on the rev limiter and if you've got spark don't bother messing with the coil. Just unbolt the bolt with the wire eyelet and tape up the eyelet. IF you have spark then the rev limiter is bad.

Either way, make sure you get OEM kawasaki parts. Don't bother even trying the aftermarket stuff unless you want to do it all over again in a few months (if it even lasts THAT long)...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Engine has to be out to completely remove the cover. The cradle under the engine has brackets on the side that keep it from coming out all the way if it's still in the cart.

If you can get to them, you can loosen all of the bolts that hold the engine and once it's loose get it slide forward and turned on the cradle.

I prefer to just drop the whole engine/transaxle combo for easier access to everything.

It's a real job to change the ignition coil on these so make sure it's bad before you go taking the cart apart to do it. Also make sure you buy a Kawasaki OEM coil, or you'll be doing it all over again very soon.

There's a rev limiter on the bottom front center of the block. Has a brown wire that's grounded to the mounting bracket. Remove the brown wire from the bracket and see if you now get spark. If so, tape the wire off and leave it unhooked. The rev limiter failed. They're ridiculous expensive, so most people just leave them unhooked.

If still no spark then you need to rule out a problem in the ignition kill circuit. Unbolt the Rev limiter bracket from the block and find the single black wire that comes from the coil. That's the coil kill wire. Unhook that and cover it with a piece of tape or make sure it can't touch anything metal. See if you now have spark.
Don't start the engine, just crank it over with a different spark plug stuck in the wire. If you leave the engines spark plug hooked up and it does start, it will not shut off on its own, you will have o ground the black wire to kill the coil. If you do have spark now, there's a short or some other problem with the kill circuit on the cart.

If you still have no spark the coil is bad.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
SpringerNC
Not Yet Wild

This helps a bunch, will do this rev limiter test today. When applying power Everything functions except getting a spark, so thats where I am at. Really appreciate the tips before I get into a bigger project than I wanted.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
SpringerNC
Not Yet Wild

And yes I already bought a cheaper coil off amazon. I love doing things the hard way. hope I wont have to install it.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerNC View Post
And yes I already bought a cheaper coil off amazon. I love doing things the hard way. hope I wont have to install it.

My advice, send it back. Don't even try to install it, or you will get to do it all over again in a few months. Amazon will return anything within 30 days so you can send it back and buy an OEM one. Call david hicks at revolution golf cars (site sponsor) he probably has them on the shelf.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
SpringerNC
Not Yet Wild

Working on it now...With a battery to the Solenoid, should I get spark? Or do I need the switch on? Power the switch?....think I’m answering that one. The gas pedal needs to be pressed to activate the spark correct?
Old 04-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #8
SpringerNC
Not Yet Wild

So far, using jumper cables, battery to solenoid, grounded on starter, switch turned on, gas pedal down, in forward, turning over with no spark, I have brown wire disconnected.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
SpringerNC
Not Yet Wild

I have fire, and drivable. Lots of smoke and strange noises. New gas, oil change and check fluids...next thread! Thanks for the help....if I have a decent machine, lift and tires!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car