lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
SS423
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 Club Car DS Rev Limiter & Governor

We just picked up a 2000 DS with some "unknown" performance issues as stated by the previous owner. The cart is ultimately in great shape for being 19 years old... it just needs a new body.

After replacing the spark plug, the carburetor, fuel filter/lines, and some hefty cleaning... the cart seems to run great, but it constantly bumps into the rev limiter. I trailed it with an ATV today and we were able to get to about 18MPH before the limiter kicked in with about a quarter of the pedal left.

I don't know what a safe top speed is for these, but I hope to achieve the maximum without endangering mechanical components.

I did a little Google-foo and found on this forum that the rev limiter can cause havoc and can be disabled. I removed the ground and the engine obviously stopped hitting the rev limiter. I can see how the rev limited might have been doing it's job, but I can also see how it may be malfunctioning.

What are your thoughts? If it was working correctly and we are achieving a reasonable top speed, how can back the pedal down so it doesn't bump the rev limiter? Will the governor be a sufficient prevention method on its own?

I get all of the common sense aspects involved, but I'd rather put the details out there and let those of you with experience tell me what's best.

We'll use it for light transport during camping and casual drives around the neighborhood, nothing extreme.

Thank you!
SS423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
SS423
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2000 Club Car DS Rev Limiter & Governor

I forgot to add that we also replaced the fuel pump and both belts.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

First thing I would do is open the black box next to the airbox. You'll see a cables and a mechanism. Make sure there is a little slack in the cables at rest. They adjust by loosening or tightening the nut on the side where the cable goes through the side of the box. You want to adjust it so when the pedal is pressed, the 2 microswitches in there both click and the cable on top of the carburetor does not move. You should press the pedal another 1/2" or so after those microswitches click the carb cable begins to move.

If that is good, remove the rear engine service cover. Look for a zip tie on the spring. If there is, then cut it off and take it dor a drive. Should stop cutting out. You can reapply a zip tie, but put it on a little looser. Will take a little playing around but too tight, it will hit the rev limiter. Too loose and tough wont get as much as you could. Just takes a little trial and error to get it just right.

As for what speed you SHOULD be able to get, that depends on clutch condition, belt condition, and tire size
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
SS423
Not Yet Wild

We’re running the standard size tires/rims and there are no zip ties or bent brackets anywhere. We have the body off for cleanup.

Sooner or later, we’ll probably be forced to change out the suspensions and lift it no more than 2” or 3”, but for now, what should one expect the top speed to be?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Stock tires, stock setup, no governor zip tie, should be 12-14mph.

Stock tires with zip tie should be somewhere 18ish mph

Bigger tires go up from there, assuming healthy clutches and belt.

If you're getting 18mph with no zip tie, stock everything else, and it is all adjusted correctly, then your governor probably isnt working correctly. The rev limiter is doing exactly what it should, and sounds like it's working right. When rev limiters fail usually it shorts and kills spark completely, so the engine wont run at all.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #6
SS423
Not Yet Wild

Got it.

So I should put the rev limiter back on there and figure out how to correctly back down the top end of the throttle so it doesn't hit the limiter, then... right?

Reviewing your post above, it seems like the cable at the control box up front has enough slack and the pedal seems to engage after the micro-switches... pretty much matches my experience with the Carry-All units I used to drive at work.

I dread asking, but how do I either test the governor further or back down the top end of the throttle from here?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS423 View Post
Got it.

So I should put the rev limiter back on there and figure out how to correctly back down the top end of the throttle so it doesn't hit the limiter, then... right?

Reviewing your post above, it seems like the cable at the control box up front has enough slack and the pedal seems to engage after the micro-switches... pretty much matches my experience with the Carry-All units I used to drive at work.

I dread asking, but how do I either test the governor further or back down the top end of the throttle from here?

Yes. Put the limiter back in.

I try to set it so that after about 3/4-1" of travel of the pedal, the microswitches click. After another 1/2" of pedal travel the cable going to the carb starts to move.

If all that is set correctly, then chances are the problem is in the governor. It's not the end of the world, but not an easy nor cheap fix. As long as the rev limiter is connected, you're not going to hurt anything. You'll just learn to drive more like a car, holding the pedal where you want it for speed instead if holding the pedal to the floor and letting the governor do the work.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car