lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
Btljce
Not Yet Wild

Default Pedal start won't turn over.

Good day everyone.
I have a 2008 carryall 2. When I depress the gas pedal I can only hear the solenoid clicking. The engine would not turn over. Battery tests good and solenoid seems to be functioning properly. When I went to jump out the starter, I accidentally touched the ground to positive on the starter. After that happened the cart started right up. It ran for a little but once I stopped same issue. With the cart running the voltage at the battery slowly climbs to about 15.04. what's the yellow wire removed from the starter and jumped to ground while the cart runs the voltage hits 18.86. unless I'm confused, this would mean both the regulator and starter is good.
Any ideas on what this could be?
Btljce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Pedal start won't turn over.

Check for clean & tight connections: solenoid to starter, starter to frame ground & main ground from battery (-) to the frame. A quick way I've checked for cable/connection issues is to take a set of automotive jumper cables: (+) cable from stud on the starter (big white cable) to battery (+) & (-) cable from ground stud on the side of the starter case to battery (-). If that DOES make it crank the starter, it tells you the problem is in the cables or connections along that path.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Btljce
Not Yet Wild

When attempting to recreate the issue on a lift. When I depress the gas pedal it takes about 3 to 5 seconds after the solenoid click before the engine starts attempting to turn over.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
Btljce
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Check for clean & tight connections: solenoid to starter, starter to frame ground & main ground from battery (-) to the frame. A quick way I've checked for cable/connection issues is to take a set of automotive jumper cables: (+) cable from stud on the starter (big white cable) to battery (+) & (-) cable from ground stud on the side of the starter case to battery (-). If that DOES make it crank the starter, it tells you the problem is in the cables or connections along that path.
Assuming I did that correctly. Starter did not attempt to start. I did not have jumper cables but I did have 12in battery leads I used. I connected the white cable to the positive battery terminal and the negative cable to negative battery terminal. Nothing happened. Do I need to disconnect those wires and try to start it as I'm doing it? Or will the starter automatically start?
Old 11-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btljce View Post
Assuming I did that correctly. Starter did not attempt to start. I did not have jumper cables but I did have 12in battery leads I used. I connected the white cable to the positive battery terminal and the negative cable to negative battery terminal. Nothing happened. Do I need to disconnect those wires and try to start it as I'm doing it? Or will the starter automatically start?
Yes, part of what you're testing for is the connections of the white cable and the ground cable at the starter. What you're describing (lag in starter reaction) is often caused by poor ground connection. Could also be a weak connection on the (+) side, or worn brushes. My test suggestion could either narrow down or rule out some possibilities.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Btljce
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Yes, part of what you're testing for is the connections of the white cable and the ground cable at the starter. What you're describing (lag in starter reaction) is often caused by poor ground connection. Could also be a weak connection on the (+) side, or worn brushes. My test suggestion could either narrow down or rule out some possibilities.
So, I tested it that way, and got no response out of the starter. My starter is dated 2016. Could the starting aspect of the starter generator be going bad?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Does the starter generator have a Club Car sticker and part number on it?

It’s possible the brushes in the s/g are worn out which is somewhat typical with aftermarket replacements.
You can remove the rubber inspection covers to check on the brushes. If the brush wires are touching the brush holders then the brushes are worn out and need to be replaced.

With the SG charging at 15+v it’s likely you either have a failing voltage regulator or battery causing it to have to charge at a higher than normal rate. Normally the SG should put out no more than 14.5v.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
Btljce
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Does the starter generator have a Club Car sticker and part number on it?

It’s possible the brushes in the s/g are worn out which is somewhat typical with aftermarket replacements.
You can remove the rubber inspection covers to check on the brushes. If the brush wires are touching the brush holders then the brushes are worn out and need to be replaced.

With the SG charging at 15+v it’s likely you either have a failing voltage regulator or battery causing it to have to charge at a higher than normal rate. Normally the SG should put out no more than 14.5v.
No, it seems to be an aftermarket SG of some sort. I had a new club cart SG laying around. So, I threw that in after I replaced the voltage regulator and was still having the same issue.

So, I'm assuming that the starting aspect of the SG was bad. I'm unsure of the exact way those things work.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:05 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

They work the same way all DC electric motors work. Give it power and it spins. It’s designed to spin at X speed based on X voltage applied. In this case around 700pm at 12v nominal.
Once the engine is running and the SG starts spinning faster than it’s cranking speed, it will begin acting as a generator as all electric motors do. The output of the generator is controlled by changing the amount of current allowed through the field coils. This is what’s controlled by the voltage regulator. Once the voltage output increases to around 14.5v the regulator decreases the current through the field coil to maintain a steady output.

There can be a few things that cause the VR to not regulate properly. One is internal failure. One is poor Ground connection between the VR and battery -. One is low voltage supply to the VR from the main output of the SG due to corrosion or loose terminals at the solenoid or corroded or loose cables between the solenoid and SG.
The other is low or incorrect current output through the field coil to the VR. This is done through the small yellow wire from the DF terminal of the SG. A poor or loose connection will result in low or no voltage output from the SG. A short to ground will give full output of 18+v from the SG.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car