lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
durabostbay
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default '04 noise???

Hi to all this is my first post, and I am very new to golf carts especially gassers. I recently got a '04 gasser and was able to try her out good this past weekend. It did well and cranks and runs great, except for a dieseling noise (my son says it sounds like a diesel) while accererating and climbing hills. I am comparing this to my sisteres '03 gasser she just got a couple weeks ago that does not make this same noise. If I start at the bottom of a hill at half throttle and try to gain speed the cart will not get any faster until I clear the top of the hill, it just makes this noise. Where my sisters cart will gain speed and shoot right by me. My cart makes this same noise while accelerating on level ground but stops as soon as I reach my desired speed. My cart has 23" tires and my sisters has 22". There have been no engine/clutch modifications performed to either cart to my knowledge. At first I thought this noise was comming from the belt pulleys adjusting themselves according to load, but now I think it is possibly comming from the engine, like a sparknocking (sp) sound.

Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JC
durabostbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: '04 noise???

Quote:
Originally Posted by durabostbay View Post
Hi to all this is my first post, and I am very new to golf carts especially gassers. I recently got a '04 gasser and was able to try her out good this past weekend. It did well and cranks and runs great, except for a dieseling noise (my son says it sounds like a diesel) while accererating and climbing hills. I am comparing this to my sisteres '03 gasser she just got a couple weeks ago that does not make this same noise. If I start at the bottom of a hill at half throttle and try to gain speed the cart will not get any faster until I clear the top of the hill, it just makes this noise. Where my sisters cart will gain speed and shoot right by me. My cart makes this same noise while accelerating on level ground but stops as soon as I reach my desired speed. My cart has 23" tires and my sisters has 22". There have been no engine/clutch modifications performed to either cart to my knowledge. At first I thought this noise was comming from the belt pulleys adjusting themselves according to load, but now I think it is possibly comming from the engine, like a sparknocking (sp) sound.

Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JC
Welcome JC... Check your drive belt. Compare it to your sisters. Sounds like yer either overloading or overheating. Also, maybe old or bad gas or plugs. Just a guess. I had an '04 with 26's and it would diesel or ping under hard loads like climbing. I put a work horse driven clutch on it and it made a world of diff...
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
durabostbay
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: '04 noise???

Well I checked my cart over good this past weekend. Checked plugs, changed fuel filter (it had a lot of crap in it) cleaned air filter, checked and adjusted throtle cabels, etc. The seems to be gone, but I still notice a lack of power when going up hills. I measured my drive belt and its a little over 1 1/8 but less than 1 3/16. Thinking I should replace it. If I want more hill power should I go with the shorter belt that I have been hearing you guys talk about in other posts? My cart is a stock 2004 txt.

Thanks,
JC
Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

welcome (2).jpg
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
durabostbay
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have removed my drive belt, and it measures 41" long. From the other posts I have read, I believe I need the Gates #6098 which measures 40". Yall please confirm this so I can go ahead and order it. This belt is not stock at any of my local auto parts stores, cheapist price I have found locally is $27 and I have to pay +/- $10 for shipping (aint that a rip off).

How does going with the shorter belt compare with heavier springs or the 28 degree clutch mod, I have read about?

Thanks,
JC
Old 05-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by durabostbay View Post
I have removed my drive belt, and it measures 41" long. From the other posts I have read, I believe I need the Gates #6098 which measures 40".

How does going with the shorter belt compare with heavier springs or the 28 degree clutch mod, I have read about?
I didn't check but if you got the number out of the shorter belt thread it's correct. same belt used on a polaris atv plus the ezgo part numbers are listed there also.
How does it compare?...... well it's a whole lot easier to put on. did you read the shorter belt thread? It's a pretty long thread, I can't imagine that not being enough info on the subject.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
durabostbay
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah I got that number out of the short belt thread. I think I did read all of it, it was long. So from what I remember there was not much differance between the short belt and 28 degree clutch mod (performance wise). I dont recall hearing anyone talk about the stiffer spring kits, I have seen on other websites. Is the stiffer springs part of the 28 clutch mod? Or does it just achieve the same performance, but in a different manner? Thanks for the info.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
ruredy
Born Wild

I don't know jack about using stiffer springs, never felt the need to try it. The ramps on the 28deg clutch make it harder to open without the use of stiffer springs so it's kind of a mute point on the ezgo 4 stroke driven clutch. I'm sure someone will sell you one if you'd like to try it, they may even try to convince you it's the "cat's meow" for the clutch.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
durabostbay
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

10-4 ruredy you seem to know your stuff about these carts. I will be getting the shorter belt, should be in this week so I can try it out this weekend. Sorry about all the questions, just trying to get educated on these things. What area of SC are you in? I got some family in Florence and Darlington.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
ruredy
Born Wild

I'm in clover, it's just w-s/w of charlotte about 20 miles
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO