lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Default 2004 precedent rubbing sound?

I have a 2004 club car precedent with the general electric motor. I started getting a oddsound from the rear end that sounds like a stiff bristle paintbrush rubbing against the tire tread. There’s nothing rubbing at all and so I thought it could be a brake issue. I tore the wheels off, checked to the Lugnuts, tore the brakes down and did all the proper cleaning and adjustments. They are working flawlessly. When I ride the car on flat hard surfaces the sound goes away when the motor is under load until it is at full speed and then it is there but less pronounced than when I let off the pedal. If I’m driving the cart up a hill under load the sound goes away as well. The sound is most pronounced when I let off of the accelerator pedal. Whenever I am coasting or let off it is at its worst. Seems to go away under load with the exception of at full throttle cruising on flat it’s slightly there. I had a speed magnet on the shelf that I bought a year ago from revolution and planned to put in my DS. I thought this was a regenerative braking issue so I put the magnet in. It helped a little but it’s still there and it sounds like brushes rubbing. The car seems to ride fine but as soon as I let off the accelerator and free wheel, which it does well now with the magnet. It still makes the sound. Is there something wrong with this motor?
anziosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2004 precedent rubbing sound?

Wow, nobody?
Heres the deal. I put the cart back up on jack sands, and spun up the wheels. The whole rear axle seems to shake (no violently) and shudder at speed. This is accompanied by what sounds like a rubbing sound. I also notice that with the wheels off and running it on jacks the sound has turned to a squeal. Axles seem to spin true and no real play when moving the axles.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That is a direct result of motor brushes and is very common.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Ok, so what do you recommend for a do it yourself kinda guy?

BTW, I just drained the diff fluid and it came out full, and the magnet looked normal. Mostly metal dust and no metal flakes. I spun the motor again and it still made the sound. I layer on the floor while the wife accelerated and could not tell if it was the motor or diff. I will lean towards your experience. Could the brushes cause that vibration? Feels like I have a unbalanced tire ?

Quickest fix without tearing the motor apart? Should I just order a motor and send the old one out for a rebuild and have a extra? I’m not confident in my ability to tackle motor brushes. Never done it
Old 04-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Also, can I replace the 2004 GE motor on the My Precedent with an AMD motor from a newer model precedent?
Old 04-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by anziosaint View Post
Also, can I replace the 2004 GE motor on the My Precedent with an AMD motor from a newer model precedent?
You sure can, and that would be an upgrade as the AMD motor has a thicker can and can take more amperage
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Jake,Will the speed sensor plug match up too?
Old 04-28-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by anziosaint View Post
Jake,Will the speed sensor plug match up too?
Yes, the triangular plug will, even though the sensors themselves are different
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #9
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Or one of these..

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...car-iq-regen-2
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #10
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Well, now I can’t seem to get the motor off. The case separated from the what I assume is called the armature? The splined shaft won’t break free. Any tips?

Update-added a little heat to it and it broke loose! Not sure what I’me looking at in the motor but prying on it bent up the copper coils on the end that bolts up to the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35726306-B95D-4F11-B0F1-80ED2342F4BC.jpg (184.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car