lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
pgibson
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with Kawasaki FE290 engine.

A friend brought me a 1992 Club car cart with a Fe 290 engine in to boxes. The previous owner said the engine would start and die. He pulled the engine and stripped it down and was going to have it rebuilt. We put it all back together to see what was going on. We have tried to start it and it will only start and run if you hold your hand over the air inlet. We have rebuilt the carb, tried a new carb and fuel pump. Adjusted the valves Did spray around carb. Checked flywheel and key. It has 100psi compression cold, and no leaks on leak down test. I do not know what to try next. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
pgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Help with Kawasaki FE290 engine.

2 things. Make sure the linkage is running all the way and actually connected to the carb.

Also, these things are finicky about having the filter/air box hooked up correctly.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
Xwell
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Also, these things are finicky about having the filter/air box hooked up correctly.
Second this one. As silly as it sounds. My guess is that a free-flowing air intake doesn't create enough vacuum to pull fuel up from the carb. Hooking it up to the air box creates just enough vacuum in the intake.
Xwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not that it’s an FE290 but just two weeks ago I was working on a Polaris sportsman 90 that was doing to same thing. Ran myself in circles until I hooked up the air box and filter. Problem solved.
ReelTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

They'll start and run just fine with no air filter or air box if the throttle plate is adjusted right. You might have to cover it for a second to choke it, but after that should run great.

I'd guess either the governor cable is too tight and is pulling the throttle plate open too quickly.
Also could have debris in the carb. The pilot screw for the idle mixture port can be plugged up and will cause hard starting. Also need to make sure the Pilot tube above the main jet is clean. Remove the main jet and reach into the carb throat with a screwdriver and push the brass tube in the center down, and tap it out of the carb. Make sure all the tiny holes in the tube are clear.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car