lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
shanelberg
Not Yet Wild

Default hard starting

ok on my 96ds gas im looking for a bit of help here my cart has been hard starting all since i started using it this spring ive done a tune up spark plug oil filter oil air filter fuel filters, ive put a new carburetor, fuel pump. ive check spark and fuel delivery. i cant find any air leaks on the intake side help im out of ideas. last night golfing it seemed like it was acting up even more.
shanelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
shanelberg
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: hard starting

update so i went and looked more and found after i replaced the fuel pump the vacuum line was very loose. replaced the vacuum line and its much better but heres the part thats driving me crazy. if i step on the throttle it willl crank and crank for ever without starting but if i just barly step on it like 1/10 throttle it starts easier thoughts ???? adjustment to the throttle linkage possible
Old 06-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Where did your "new" carb come from? If it was a $30 cheapo that's not helping anything. If you still have the original carb it usually only takes about 30 minutes to totally take it apart and clean it out.

Lift the seat up and press the GO pedal slowly while watching the throttle lever on the carb. The governor cable should be very loose to start with, and you should hear the switch in the black electric box click and then you should press the pedal another 1/2" to an inch before the throttle lever starts to pull open. If the cable is too tight the throttle will start to open too soon and can cause hard starting.

Also make sure the throttle stop is adjusted properly. If the throttle plate is too far open to start with, it will not pull in enough fuel when cranking.
Turn the throttle stop screw out until it does not touch the lever. Then turn in until it just barely touches, then turn in another 1/4 turn.

Also the mixture screw on the side of the carb only affects the fuel it gets during starting, so if the mixture screw is turned in too far it will be too lean and can cause hard starting. Normal adjustment on the Original carb is limited by a stop on the screw head. Turning the screw In makes it more lean, turning Out makes it more rich. If you have an aftermarket carb with no stop on the screw, turn all the way In until the screw just barely seats, and then turn Out 1-1/2 turns. Adjust from there by 1/8 turn at a time if necessary.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
shanelberg
Not Yet Wild

so i adjusted the carb it helped but its still not right. maybe this will help if i step on the throttle just a little bit leave it there for a few seconds then slowly press down it starts but if i give half of full right away it will crank and crank and not start
Old 07-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #5
shanelberg
Not Yet Wild

so like you said the chepo carb may be an issue well i dont have the original becouse when i bought this cart in was a fixer up and the carb was garbage i ordered on off of ebay several years ago. well i bought another fixer uper a few month ago and that one has an OEM clubcar carb on it so i took that carb and put it on the one im having problems with and preso starts WAY!!!!!!! better. only one step away from being perfect is there is a delay a couple seconds beween when you step on the throttle and when the starter gen starts to turn. i was having trouble with the belt slipping. well i got it tight but im thinking it might be to tight. is that possible?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
shanelberg
Not Yet Wild

oh, and where do you recommend getting a good quality crarb oh and i see there is a different part number for a 92-97 and a 98+ Whats the difference the one i robbed was on an 02 and i put it on a 94
Old 07-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There are internal differences in the carb and that might be around the time they changed suppliers for the carb. Not sure, but if its a carb for a FE290 it will work fine.

Delayed cranking is usually a weak battery, or poor connections between the battery, solenoid, and starter generator. Also be sure to check the ground cables and connections for the SG and battery and engine to frame ground. If any of those are bad the starter may struggle to turn.
Make sure you have a Fully Charged battery of at least 500CCA rating, clean connections at battery and the frame.
If you have an aftermarket belt (auto parts store) then that belt may be too wide and will sit up too high in the pulley of the S/G. If the belt is not all the way down in the pulley it will be harder for the SG to turn the engine and often those belts will slip bad because they don't have enough surface contact with the pulley. If you don't have an OE Club Car belt on it, I strongly recommend getting one.

The last option is the brushes in the starter are worn out, or the starter has an internal problem.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car