lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
CRStory
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1997 Club Car DS - Adding Rear flip-down set, leaf springs and light kit

We purchased a 1997 Club Car DS - Gas last fall and are now preparing to upgrade by adding a rear flip-down seat, heavy duty leaf springs and a light kit. I've purchased the items below and am preparing to install. We have the cart at our cottage so I am gathering tools to take along. I am good with installing the light kit but need some advice on the leaf springs. In watching install videos, some bolts come right out, others are cut out. The kit came with bushing kits only, no bolts. I am looking for advice/suggestions on what I might need to be successful. Should i purchase bolts? Should i replace the upper bolts and bushings? Thinking about removing the rear body. My wife wants to paint it so this may be a good time.

Thanks in advance,
Craig

RHOX Club Car DS Light Kit - NON-Street Legal (Choose: LEDs or Regular)
(Light Bulb Type: LED Light Kit, Voltage Reducer: None) RH-LGT-305L (deluxe wiring harness included)

Club Car DS Golf Cart Rear Seat Kit (1982 - 2013 models) - BUFF (Matches Factory front seat) - Flip Seat w/ Cargo Bed & Free Grab Bar
(Select your Club Car DS Model Year: Old Style - Club Car DS (1982 - 2000.5), Add Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Springs Kit? Club Car DS Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Springs Kit - 4-Leaf (Fits 1981 & Up) ) STE-CCDSFLIPBUFF-82OLD
CRStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2020, 05:36 AM   #2
Motorman 007
Getting Wild

Default Re: 1997 Club Car DS - Adding Rear flip-down set, leaf springs and light kit

I would definitely get 4 bolts just in case. As you saw on the videos they don’t come out about 50% of the time. I’ve never had to replace the upper bushings.
What do you plan to cut the headlight holes with? I use a dremel tool with a zip bit similar to one used in drywall installation. Have fun.
Motorman 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
CRStory
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1997 Club Car DS - Adding Rear flip-down set, leaf springs and light kit

Thanks for the tip. I will get those bolts on my list.

For the light install, i have two options in mind. Per the RHOX install video, i will use a drill and jig saw or a drill and my dewalt oscillating multi-tool. I wasn't expecting the deluxe wiring harness but they have a video on that too. I've done the wiring on my pontoon so it should be pretty easy. It is all modular. It, of course, opens options for more mods...turn signals, brake lights, horn, hi-low, teleportation, rocket launcher...
Old 07-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
Motorman 007
Getting Wild

Either of those ways will work. Err on the smaller side. Some of those templates are a bit too liberal. Better to have to trim a little than have to try and cover a hole..... I’ve had good luck with the Rhox kits. Make sure you zip tie the harness away from the exhaust and suspension in the rear. Hopefully the kit came with a push pull switch. The rocker switches fail quickly.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
CRStory
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will keep that in mind as we do the layout. I have to take off the rear support brackets and top to install the rear seat so we may just take it off and paint it. Is it possible to do a decent job with just spray cans or are we asking for trouble?

Yes, it does come with the push/pull switch and zip ties. I just put in an order for u-bolts too, just in case something twists off.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:12 AM   #6
Motorman 007
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRStory View Post
I will keep that in mind as we do the layout. I have to take off the rear support brackets and top to install the rear seat so we may just take it off and paint it. Is it possible to do a decent job with just spray cans or are we asking for trouble?

Yes, it does come with the push/pull switch and zip ties. I just put in an order for u-bolts too, just in case something twists off.
I’ve never painted a body before so I can’t say one way or the other....
Old 07-13-2020, 06:21 AM   #7
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

Use adhesion promotor before you paint, it helps the paint from flaking off even if you use paint specifically formulated for plastic.

I would also point out, that you may want to reconsider HD springs especially if its typically just you and your wife riding it. Without 4 adults on the cart at all times, the HD springs will ride very rough. I tried HD springs after my seat install as well. Hated the ride. Found some dual action springs and think thats a better compromise for ride quality vs. total load capacity.
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
BobInOK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm installing a rear flip seat on my 95 and decided not to buy the springs. Mostly will be used for hauling stuff around the property with the exception of one weekend a year where I might be using the back seat. Figured I would wait and see if they were something I really needed.
BobInOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
Motorman 007
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInOK View Post
I'm installing a rear flip seat on my 95 and decided not to buy the springs. Mostly will be used for hauling stuff around the property with the exception of one weekend a year where I might be using the back seat. Figured I would wait and see if they were something I really needed.
You’ll know when you need them.....the exhaust pipe will touch the body directly under the seat and melt it. Been there done that....
Old 07-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Get 6 bolts. Three for each side. upper and lower shackle bolts, and the front spring eye bolt.
Use 3/8-16 x 3-1/2" grade 5. Also get new 3/8-16 Nylon insert lock nuts.

If your springs only came with 4 bushing sets, order another 2 bushing sets with sleeves for the upper shackle bushings. If you have the body off, this is the best time to replace those.

The bolts that attach the roof struts are 5/16-18 thread, get a handful of those in 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" length and a couple of lock nuts to match, in case you need to replace any of those. A few 5/16 flat washers might come in handy as well.

Then there are 8 or 10 (can't remember exactly how many off hand) 1/4-20 x 1" Pan head screws that hold the rear body on in various places. Good chance on a cart that old some of those will be pretty rusty and will be mangled or you'll have to cut them off.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car