lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
sickcraft
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Engine bad - what can be used now?

A friend of mine has an early 80's gas EZ-Go golf cart. It has the Robin's 244 cc 2-cycle engine. The service guy told him there are thermal cracks in the case and it's not repairable. First, is there something that can be done for this?

If not, what can be used to replace this engine?

Could we find a golf cart junk yard and replace the whole back end from other any other carts?

He bought the cart cheap so he want to get the lowest cost option possible. Please let me know.
sickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Engine bad - what can be used now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcraft View Post
A friend of mine has an early 80's gas EZ-Go golf cart. It has the Robin's 244 cc 2-cycle engine. The service guy told him there are thermal cracks in the case and it's not repairable. First, is there something that can be done for this?
look for another engine
If not, what can be used to replace this engine?

Could we find a golf cart junk yard and replace the whole back end from other any other carts?
Sure
He bought the cart cheap so he want to get the lowest cost option possible. Please let me know.
probably finding a used replacement engine (same kind) would be the lowest cost, I'd guess next would be a sled engine or find a old atv and stick it's engine and rear up under the cart. lots of fabbing with the latter options.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
hawkeyedm2003
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Ive used JB Weld to repair car engine blocks. Give it a shot.
hawkeyedm2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
motormouth27
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I used my old engine for a flower pot
motormouth27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
sickcraft
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hawkeye,
Does JB Weld hold up under the heat and stress on the block? This would definitely be the cheapest solution. It sounds too good to be true, which leaves me skeptical. (I hate being this way)

I went and read where others have done this also, so it couldn't hurt to try. What did you do to prep it to seal it? Did you groove the edges of the crack before filling? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyedm2003 View Post
Ive used JB Weld to repair car engine blocks. Give it a shot.
I have done this too. I use it to repair a cracked block on an old 3/4 ton 53 chevy truck with a 350 I-6 engine. It was cracked at the bottom I drilled small holes in it to releave the stress and wiped it on. 3 yrs later, no water leak. This truck is used in parades and on a farm going back and forth to the feed meal. It is not sitting in a garage it is driven.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
sickcraft
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What product did you use, (putty, industrial weld, etc)? Please let me know. Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There's a Dodge Neon in the drive way that has metal putty plugging it's oil pan at the threaded drain plug! The putty is threaded and it doesn't leak. I know that's not a block, but it holds the oil...I was impressed
I use epoxy to plug holes in floats and a lot of other stuff
JB weld is really good also..gas and oil resistant.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

JB weld would probably work best for the aluminum. Use carberator cleaner, the type that evaporates quick, to clean it. It cuts oil and doesnt leave a film. If you can scratch up the surface with some emory cloth, it may help adherence. Good Luck.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
hawkeyedm2003
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I used it on a cracked engine block. Clean it real good of oil and such. Run a DA on it to just groove the metal, 80 grit should do it. Gob it up real good getting it all the way into the crack and let it completely dry. My engine held for several years and then the car was sold, still going strong.
Not sure on the name, get the strongest they have.
hawkeyedm2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO