lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 TXT Low Compression

Like I asked before - where are you located?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Low compression is a symptom doc. The cause is a worn engine. Yes rings hold compression at the cylinder walls .... but much more is involved in restoring compression than replacing the rings. The motor has run for many hours to wear the rings and cylinder walls out. The valves have opened and closed a zillion times. They are worn and tired too. The crank has turned in its bearings and the connecting Rods have done a lot of up and down movement impulsed by explosion on their journals....... What Mike is trying to say is when it is time to refresh a 4 stroke ... it is time to take a good long look at everything if you care to have the rebuild last a good long time like the orig
Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
posner
Not Yet Wild

I am in California. I'm just going to tear it down I guess and if I screw it up I will buy a new one; at least these things are cheap to fix.
posner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
posner
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your response I appreciate it. I am going to tear it down stepwise and go through it to see what needs to be replaced. It sounds like dropping a new motor in may just be simpler(though not as fun) I just wanted a cart to cruise around the pits at our sons motocross races without having to tear it down and modify the hell out of it like I usually do.

I didnt mean to sound bitter about the whole thing. I guess I was trying to liken it to my job. If I sent every headache patient out for an $1800 MRI without at least asking a few questions and ruling out things that are easy to cross off the list, I would have alot of pissed off patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Low compression is a symptom doc. The cause is a worn engine. Yes rings hold compression at the cylinder walls .... but much more is involved in restoring compression than replacing the rings. The motor has run for many hours to wear the rings and cylinder walls out. The valves have opened and closed a zillion times. They are worn and tired too. The crank has turned in its bearings and the connecting Rods have done a lot of up and down movement impulsed by explosion on their journals....... What Mike is trying to say is when it is time to refresh a 4 stroke ... it is time to take a good long look at everything if you care to have the rebuild last a good long time like the orig
Hope this helps
Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sellers will tell you what you want to hear. Try a compression test yourself 1st! 2nd - try to adjust the valves yourself at .004" and re check compression. These are VERY IMPORTANT steps to look at before you pull the motor and start a tear down.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
Sellers will tell you what you want to hear. Try a compression test yourself 1st! 2nd - try to adjust the valves yourself at .004" and re check compression. These are VERY IMPORTANT steps to look at before you pull the motor and start a tear down.
I agree 150% Good advice Mike!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #17
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do the tests and valve adjustments first, though. If the cart doesn't smoke / burn oil, then the compression issue is probably in the head / valves... If it's a smoker, then I'd bet on the rings / cylinder...

Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
posner
Not Yet Wild

Fantastic! THanks so much for your advice I will do as you have suggested. I sincerely appreciate your time
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO