lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
socal760
Not Yet Wild

Default 1985 ez go gas cart

just picked up this 1985 ez go 2 stroker for a really good deal..im still working on my electric one but i just couldnt pass this one up. the money i was gonna use to buy new batteries ended buying me this gasser instead it was sitting in some ones storage for about 3 or 4 years, brought her home put in a fresh new battery as well as fresh gas and started right up. all ive done so far is got new knob tires for it and bought a 5 inch lift kit on online..im having little trouble installing the kit, seems pretty easy and there is about 3 or 4 steps in the instruction sheet maybe you guys can answer a few of my questions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nuts.jpg (116.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg lift kit.jpg (113.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg ez go front.jpg (159.6 KB, 21 views)
socal760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
socal760
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1985 ez go gas cart

this looks like a common lift kit so im sure you guys have worked with something similar before.. according to the instructions the lifting blocks have a hole on one end and a welded nut on the other..the hole on the lifting block has to face up, so what does that nut screw on too? the screw thats in the middle of the leaf springs? i tried that already but the screw is to wide for that nut. could it be that im missing a few pieces from the kit or maybe the wrong size nut was welded on that block
socal760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

The nut may have to be ground down on the edges to fit in the hole in the axle to locate it (bolts to nothing) then the spring center bolt would fit in the hole in the top and bolt together. Hope that helps
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

It has been over a year since I installed the same kit but I am pretty sure that the nut goes up. It is not so much a nut as a pin to stop the spring from moving on the block. If you jack up the front of the cart and remove the plate that holds the spring onto the axle you will see how it fits together.
Unfortunately my cart is on the mountain so I can't look at it right now but I will be there this afternoon and if none of the block lift gurus (BCM et. al.) come back I will take some photos and post them tonight.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Dave I may be wrong but look at the pick the center bolt is in the spring so there is a nut on the center bolt which would have to go in a hole in the axle right ? ? ?
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Racin, I really don't remember for definate but if you look at picture three, in the center of the black spring plates there looks to be a pin which I think is welded to the axle and stops the spring sliding around. That I think is why the lifting block has a hole in the bottom (to go over that pin) and the welded nut is for the hole in the spring to go over and then you bolt that plate to the top using the very long bolts.

As a slight aside my long bolts fitted perfectly but I recall Brew City saying that his did not all line up and he had to use some shorter bolts to clamp the plates down.

As I said my memory is a little hazy on this but if Brew City ever puts down his mandolin and signs in here he will have the answer in seconds. If not the I will have pictures tonight.

BTW Socal, to fit the rear tubes you have to jack up the cart far more than you think. This jacking effectively lowers the engine so I recommend that you remove the rubber air tube between the filter and the carburetor to stop it ripping. Once your lift is in place you can easily refit it.

Dave
Old 06-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

(I must be getting rusty, I actually had to go out and take a peek at the cart to make sure I knew what I was talking about, hahaha)

nut goes up (through the hole in the spring, to keep the spring from sliding) - the block assembly holds to the axle firmly with the 4 bolts that go through the plate on the axle as well as the one on the block.

And Dave's right - the hole fits over the pin on the axle that originally went through the hole in the spring .... GOD I need more coffee, that gave me a headache just trying to explain, LOL

Also (again, good thinking, Dave) you definitely want to unhook the air intake hose (and if you want to REALLY be safe, the fuel line from the rigid frame line to the carb) and replace them after the lift is done - and yes, you'll need an insane floor jack or stands and a few blocks (or hopefully something a bit safer, anyhow) - you almost won't believe how high you need to jack the cart to fit the rear spacers, as mentioned above.

And Dave, I've put the mandolin down for the summer, this year it's all about the Ukelele :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Good man BCM I knew you had the answers. BTW I found an early video of yours when you were just starting out with the ukelele. I hope you don't mind me publishing your stage name but anyway enjoy .....

Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

LOL, you guys are off the hook.

Nice one Dave.....
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Just when I thought this hangover couldn't get any worse .... **** I miss that haircut, LOL
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO