lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #21
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: new to carts, got ez go question??

Looking at the way the wiring was hacked up I was guess someone transplanted an older engine into it although the dash plate says it's a 94. i guess it's a frankenstein cart! It looks pretty good and is clean so I don't want to abandon it. I've got tools and skills necessary for fabrication(mig,tig,etc....) so an engine swap is not out of the question. What recommendations would you guys have? The local alternator/starter shop says a rebuild is 225$ to 275$ if they can do it. What other budget minded options are out there?
theclintonsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #22
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

It is a clean looking cart (although definately not 1994) and you are right it is too good to die. In case your weren't aware the reverse on the 2 stroke consists of running the engine backwards to if you want to keep reverse you will need another 2 stroke. If you don't care about reverse then a Vanguard twin is a very populat choice, however if you buy new and you will need a new clutch as well you are looking at ~$2500. Personally I would look for a later 2PG, but it is your call.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #23
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

That's definitely not a 1994 (that year was an entirely different body style) - yours is between an 88 and a 93 (with deference to the engine, which is FAR older as we've already ascertained)

I'm with Dave on this one, you really might be better off with another engine .... AAAAAND there's possibly some good news, as there's another thread going here and I believe he's selling an extra 2PG motor he has, let me look back and see what thread it was
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #24
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm aware of the reverse problem and I'm sure my kids will need it. I'd like to stick with this for now, it'll depend on what the starter shop tells me. I'm even trying to think if I could retrofit a newer st/gen onto this engine. I got the old one off and its sealed and separate from the crankcase so if i could somehow bolt/weld a newer one on I could make it work but I'd be concerned with balance??? Decisions,Decisions.......................
Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #25
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Any luck finding that thread? I don't have any luck searching for 2pg.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #26
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

There is one here
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...tc-advise.html
and you may be able to negotiate the price. If you are interested get some pictures You don't want to end up with a 3PG

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #27
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Here's the one I was referring to, he bought a 2PG parts cart to get his 3PG together and is now the owner of a 2PG drivetrain that he doesn't need ...

1987 Marathon 3PG wont run

(oh great, the link doesn't work - just search that thread title, it'll get you there - it's an active thread so it should be near the top of the "gas ezgo" list)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #28
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Here it is:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...-wont-run.html
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Today I reinstalled the bad st/gen with the working points ignition. After installing a pulley off of a lawn mower spindle to pull start the engine and tweaking it so it would idle without running me over I got to drive it around. It runs pretty good, I got to 21.81mph down the driveway. Now my dilemma is to retrofit a 2pg starter onto this engine by making a bracket and installing an additional pulley or to just dump this engine and go with a 2pg. I hate to throw away a working engine. If I purchase and install a 2pg starter and the engine takes a dump in 6 months then at least I'd have a starter that would work on my next engine. If I switch to a 2pg now I'm guessing I'd need a solenoid, ignition, starter, and engine. Lots of $ versus just buying a starter. Opinions are appreciated. Thx
Old 07-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

sounds like a plan. also sounds as tho you have the ability to make it work. i do think you will need another drive clutch with the starter pulley on it.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO