lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
tunis8808
Not Yet Wild

Default g1 yamaha starts in reverse but no fire in forward

I recently purchased this older g1 at the time the cart would only start in reverse with full choke and barely moved forward, i replaced the plug now she runs great in reverse but still no fire in forward i replaced the solenoid still nothing i have "juice" coming out of both i have juice at the ignition but no fire on the plug. i purchased the solenoid after reading several post on this site ($69) i hate to buy a new ignition on a guess any suggestions oh btw this is a b-day gift for my aging father in law to get around his farm any help would be appreciated
tunis8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: g1 yamaha starts in reverse but no fire in forward

Welcome to BGW!!

For the heck of it, I would try switching the solenoids and see what happens.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
tunis8808
Not Yet Wild

ya after i put the new one on and it didnt do anything i swtiched them as well as out the new solenoid in both spots with both old ones in the other spot. i might ad that i dont have juice in either wire on the coil should i?
tunis8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The starter solenoids only cause the engine to crank. The cdi unit sends voltage to the coil to create a spark. If your engine cranks over in forward you have a problem with the cdi unit or wiring to it. If you have swapped solenoids around and can still crank the engine in reverse then your solenoids are ok. Assuming the engine cranks in forward carefully check your wires at the ignition switch connector and at the cdi unit connector.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Also check the four wires coming from behind the flywheel. These are the wires for the ignition pickup coils. I believe we had a member here whose G1 did this and he discovered a damaged wire that would go open only when the engine spun in one direction. If the engine was cranked in the opposite direction the connection was ok and the engine would run.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha