lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
evcrawfish
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy yamaha g2 pickup coil ground burnt off

hello everybody, i'm new to golf carts, but not new to turning wrenches. bought this yamaha g2 golf cart a couple of weeks ago. frame was rusted out under the battery area so i started with that. stripped the "body" off, welded in new metal to fix the frame. repainted the "body" and recovered the seats. after putting it all back to together i started working on the engine mechanicals. i did an internet search and found an owners manual and in it it has a wiring diagram and since i have no idea of the history of this cart i wanted to start there. so after a few hours of sorting it all out i found that only a couple of wires were in the wrong spots. corrected them and moved onto the "research" of what normal maintenance and adjustments were normal on a g2 golf cart, since i have no idea if any of that has ever been done. i read bunches of threads here on BGW and found how to set the valves, done. .004. took the carb apart and did a thorough cleaning, done. new fuel lines from fuel tank to carb, as well as taking pump apart and cleaning it out. vacuum lines on engine seem to be in good shape as well as the check valve in said vacuum lines. entire airbox was missing so i installed a K&N air filter and found my mixture screw would only run the cart turned out 1/2 turn instead of the 1 1/2 turns recommended. so new jet in carb. now seems like the mixture is set ok at about 1 1/4 turns out. so i'm good so far. but during checking the wiring i found that the 3 wire hook up on the pickup (pulser?) coil. the ground wire was missing, so i ran a wire directly to the battery. when i started the engine, well tried to the wire started cooking. so i unhooked the wire because it was running without the wire being hooked to anything.

ok, sorry for the long post, i just wanted whoever looked at this to know what i had done so far. here is the problem. at low speed the cart runs really good, but when i am trying to set the upper end setting on the carb it does really good until i drive it for a few minutes then it starts cutting out, as in the mixture on the carb is out of spec or like something is getting heat washed and breaking down. so just when i think i have the carb set correctly i test drive it a little and it starts running goofy like the mixture is off, which is weird because when it is "cold" it runs extremely strong. sorry for the lengthy thread i'm just kind of at my wits end on possible things on this one. thanks to any and all who reply
evcrawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
evcrawfish
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: yamaha g2 pickup coil ground burnt off

sorry, when i hooked up the ground wire to the pick up coil the engine would not start and the ground wire started cooking, so that is when i took the wire off and the engine will now run. thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
evcrawfish
Not Yet Wild

found the resistance numbers for the pickup (pulser ) coil and the ignition coil. the numbers i got are pickup coil 593 ohms. the range given that i found (i believe smallblock gave the numbers, but i could be wrong), are 495 - 605 ohms. so the pickup coil shows to be in spec. not showing ground through the nonground wires, so it must be getting ground through the block.
and the resistance numbers i got on the ignition coil between the orange wire and the r/w, with the (+) on the r/w i got 4.8 ohms, this is on the upper end of listed range but still in spec. and the (+) on the r/w and neg on spark plug wire at spark plug end is 18.9 K ohms. i don't see how to unscrew anything to check the coil end of the spark plug wire so i don't understand how i'm supposed to trim the end of the wire and screw something back on.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
pensfan87
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

i would pull the clutch cover off and check the weights,if you have a broken weight, motor will over rev, there is a built in limit in the ignighter box, this is easy to check, good luck
pensfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
evcrawfish
Not Yet Wild

pensfan87, thanks, that's the first i've heard of that. i will check it. thanks again.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
evcrawfish
Not Yet Wild

ok, i got the main clutch cover off, it says comet duster on the secondary cover. it looks like there has been lots of water going through this thing for a while there is rust on the inside of the cover and the "guts" of the comet clutch looks like it is fairly corroded as well. the cart has a lift kit on it, but beyond that it looks stock. what would be involved in going back with a stock clutch. or does anybody have any ideas??? i didn't see anything broken, but the "clutch pack" has the secondary cover over it, so i can't really see down inside that well, and not knowing what i am looking at.... got me. anybody familiar with a comet clutch. any ideas???
Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
evcrawfish
Not Yet Wild

ok the sticker on the clutch says comet duster. here are some pics, that is if i can figure out how to attach them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_082511_001.jpg (425.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Photo_082511_002.jpg (395.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Photo_082511_003.jpg (404.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
evcrawfish
Not Yet Wild

oops i just thought of something, since we are looking at the clutch and now i find out i have a aftermarket clutch. i did tighten the governor on the transmission all the way down, which was quite a ways. i guess i could put it back where it was and see what that does???
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #9
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The Comet 94c is a very popular clutch, widely used in snowmobile applications, especially for vintage racing machines. It is fully tuneable and works well on buggies too. The downside is Comet went out of business about 2 years ago and the company that bought them has not restarted production, so parts are very hard to find. This is a very simple clutch, take it apart and clean it, you will be fine. There should be a big plastic cover over the end to keep out dirt and water, but it may not fit in your application. Here is an image of a 94c on my buggy and some info on the 94c.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0183.jpg (120.6 KB, 14 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Comet 94c.pdf (1.52 MB, 3 views)
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
evcrawfish
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB74 View Post
The Comet 94c is a very popular clutch, widely used in snowmobile applications, especially for vintage racing machines. It is fully tuneable and works well on buggies too. The downside is Comet went out of business about 2 years ago and the company that bought them has not restarted production, so parts are very hard to find. This is a very simple clutch, take it apart and clean it, you will be fine. There should be a big plastic cover over the end to keep out dirt and water, but it may not fit in your application. Here is an image of a 94c on my buggy and some info on the 94c.
thank you very much for the info on the clutch, i appreciate it.

Tags
g2 pickup coil pulser
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha