lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Ron Man
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Need Help Diagnosing 2cycle Gas Start Prob

Hi, All:

Slowly wading in here in the golf cart world. I bought a 2 cyc EZGo gasser. It's a GXT-800 Truck, built May 28th 1990. It's in pretty nice shape overall, and ran well when I first got it, but has developed a problem starting. I need some help to get me going in the right direction.
Symptoms:

- Starts and runs great from stone cold.
- After warm, it will not re-start - spark plug is wet.
- If I remove the spark plug and dry it, it starts right up and runs normally until I stop again, then it won't re-start unless I dry the spark plug again.

Had it in for service at a local EZgo shop last year. They did a "tune-up" and cleaned the carb (which had been replaced by the prior owner)... They also grumbled about ethanol in the fuel and said it is raising all kind of heck with older small engines. I didn't really buy it... The fix lasted a few weeks, then the cart reverted back to not re-starting once warm.

At this point, all I know is that compression is good - 120psi. Can anyone suggest what things I should look at in a top-down approach? I've read about bad crank seals, plugged mufflers and bad fuel pumps, but I'm not sure which if any apply to a 2 cyc. Some rebuild parts seem expensive like the coil
and muffler, therefore, I want to avoid throwing parts at this willy-nilly and develop a systematic approach to diagnose the problem.

I use this cart as a pit vehicle when I race my car. I need the cart to be reliable, and not leave me stranded at the wrong end of the paddock!! Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thx!
Ron
Ron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need Help Diagnosing 2cycle Gas Start Prob

I had similar problems with mine.

Things to check would be the float level, needle and needle seat. If thats not the problem it could be due to weak spark. The spark may look fine outside the cylinder, but may not be firing very good inside the cylinder, causing it not to start once fuel has wet the plug. That turned out to be the problem on mine (bad coil). Check your connections too.. Especially where the plug wire attaches to the coil. Good luck.
Plumbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Ron Man
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Plumbergs: Thanks for the reply. I'll check/clean the carb and set it up properly. Funny you mention the spark plug wire. It seems pretty cheezy, and probably not making a good strong contact with the coil. I'll test the coil primary and secondary resistances and go from there. I believe I saw resistance values for them somewhere....

I had thumbed thru your build thread last night. You did a great job on your cart!!

Ron
Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Ron. It was a lot of fun! Good luck with yours and keep us posted.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Plumberg is right.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Ron Man
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, I'm finally under-way on diagnosing this problem. Today I got the cart in the shop and rolled up my sleeves. Here's what I found:

Compression: 130
Coil: Orange - green: 3.9 ohms
Orange - Secondary: 11.4K ohms.
Spark Plug Wire: .5 ohms. Clipped off 1/2in to get to fresh copper: 1.2 Ohms

Looking at the service guide, my coil is borderline... they say:

"IGNITION COIL
7. Using a VOM, check the primary coil resistance. Orange to Green should be 3.6 to 3.8 ohms. Replace ignition
coil if value is incorrect.
8. Using a VOM, check the secondary coil resistance. Orange to Spark plug wire should be 11.5 to 12.5 K ohms.
Replace ignition coil if value is incorrect".

What's sayeth the brain-trust? Coil is OK, or coil should be deep-six'd???
Old 11-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Ron,
Do you have a riding lawn mower or something with the same type of coil that you bolt on temporarily to see if it corrects the problem? Thats exactly what I did to mine (used the coil off of an old John deere mower and it corrected the problem). The meter readings do sound borderline, so it might be worth a shot before buying a coil. How did the float level, needle and seat look?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Ron Man
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbergs View Post
Hey Ron,
Do you have a riding lawn mower or something with the same type of coil that you bolt on temporarily to see if it corrects the problem? Thats exactly what I did to mine (used the coil off of an old John deere mower and it corrected the problem). The meter readings do sound borderline, so it might be worth a shot before buying a coil. How did the float level, needle and seat look?
Plumbergs:

Well, I started it up today and think that just snipping 1/2" off the end of the plug wire to expose fresh copper on the coil side made a huge difference!! It starts now w/o the choke!! So, based on that, I decided to do the HEI conversion. Advance Auto only had the ignitor in stock and should have the coil tomorrow. I've also decided to order a new carb and fuel pump. When I bought the cart, I was told by the previous owner that he wasn't sure it had the right carb on it, so I want to level-set and get the cart squared away. I'm also going to do the belts, and while I'm at it, I'm getting a set of new alum wheels shod with Carlisle Tour Max tires! This cart led a charmed life on a race car team, so it never saw 12 hr days of use like on a golf course. It's in pretty good shape overall. Will keep you posted on progress.

Thx,
Ron
Old 11-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you're on the right track. I bet it'll run like a champ when you're done.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Ron Man
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, major progress the last couple of days.

- Installed HEI ignition. Works GREAT!!!!
- Removed Oil Injection.
- Replaced Fuel Pump.
- Installed new tires and wheels.

Cart starts and runs fantastic!! Starts super easy now, and I believe my warm-start issue is gone! I tested my crank seals, and they appear to be fine... WHEW!!!

Next will be a new carb, choke cable and air inlet hose. I also removed the muffler to diagnose a rattle and discovered it has a 2" square hole burned thru it. So, I'm looking for a good used or reasonable priced new muffler. P/N 22318-G2 I believe.

Will post some pics soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO