lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
T_well
Not Yet Wild

Default Identify this '88 with kit installed

I don't know if it's a Marathon, Medalist, TXT or what. Obviously, it's been tinkered with. The tag has S/N A16832 & MFG. # 88L19. To my knowledge that makes it an '88. It is 2 cycle but I don't know how to identify the motor. It is a transverse motor, meaning the crank is crossways of the cart. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golfzilla.jpg (20.1 KB, 61 views)
T_well is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Identify this '88 with kit installed

If the crankshaft is across the cart then the engine is a 3PG which is odd as 1989 was the year that EZGO transitioned from the 2PG to the 3PG. Confirmation would be if the muffler is horizontal and the carburetor is marked BV 24.

If that is the case then you have a very nice looking cart with the more powerful 11hp engine. Enjoy.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
BadApple
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is a good looking cart. Can you post some more pictures?
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
T_well
Not Yet Wild

Here's a pic of the engine viewed from the front through the seat, and the drive clutch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (25.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg drive clutch.jpg (15.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

It's an EZ GO Workhorse, and early one.. could be a Jacobsen, but my neighbor has the exact cart with 4 cycle drive. His has the static no dump bed, but I think I was one the other day that had the dump bed, with the diamond plate..but it may have been a Cushman, regardless, that is a Medalist style Workhorse, imo.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

by the way, I think most every golf car I have seen has a *transverse* motor, even the electrics..

I am sure there is an exception somewhere, but I know EZ go Textron , Club Car and Yamaha haven't had a non transverse engine that I can recall.

In other words, it is almost safe to say ALL golf cars have *sideways* or transverse motors.

It is the rule, not the exception.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

In other words, it is almost safe to say ALL golf cars have *sideways* or transverse motors.

It is the rule, not the exception.

It would be safe to say that all modern carts .........

..........In mid-year 1989, (early '89 models had the 2pg engine) E-Z-GO changed to the '3pg' engine, leaving the old 2pg to history. The '3pg' engine has the spark plug turned upward, and the whole engine is rotated such that both clutches face the driver side of the golf cart. This rotation allowed for the differential to be changed from a hypoid gearing to a more efficient helical gear design, a change that persists to this day.

Dave
Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
T_well
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. All this seems to be the case with this unit. The spark plug is turned almost straight up and the drive and driven clutches are both on the drivers side. I know it needs a drive clutch as it hesitates to take off and I can feel the grooves in the beveled faces with my bare hand. Working on that.
Another issue that came up is the charging of the battery. I just bought this cart so my girls and I can ride when they are with me. The previous owner advised buying another battery as this one wouldn't stay charged. This battery is from Jan. '10. However yesterday while riding my youngest around the farm, the battery finally gave out. Luckily we were nearly to the barn. My question is, how do I check to see if the generator is charging?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The easiest way is to jack up the rear end and start the engine. With a voltmeter across the battery terminals and the engine running briskly you are looking to see 14 - 16 volts. Any less (or more indicates a problem).

The full instructions are as follows

Fully Charge your battery and note the battery voltage

1) Check for loose, broken wiring.
2) Raise rear of cart and attach a volt meter between the regulator's red and black wires.
3) Start engine and run at mid speed, making note of the meter reading.
4) Reading should be between 14 to 16 volts.
5) If reading is above specs, check for a grounded green wire from the starter/gen.
6) If no rise in voltage, disconnect green wire from starter/generator ** and temporarily ground to frame.
7) If voltage rises within specs, replace voltage regulator.
If the voltage does not rise then the generator is defective and the first step would be to check the brushes.

** It is important to place a thin wrench under the wire to prevent the stud turning and ripping the wire off the stud inside the generator

Keep us posted

Dave
Old 02-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post

** It is important to place a thin wrench under the wire to prevent the stud turning and ripping the wire off the stud inside the generator

Keep us posted

Dave
thanks for the notes about the engines Dave, and as for this last suggestion..very, very, important, removing..*and* replacing..to hold stud stationary..(solenoid too..lol)

Have a great day !
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO