lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Robin engine popping and not winding up.

Ok, I still got troubles.It's doing the same exact thing.Yesterday I ran it anyhow hoping if the rings set in it might stop with the popping and all but now I started losing power majorly and the engine stopped so suddenly I thought it locked up.I also had a strange noise, like a squeaky tapping, or knocking crop up, so I thought I really screwed the pooch.Just a few seconds later I turned the clutch over by hand and it seemed like nothing happened.It restarted after this and I got it to slowly crawl home.Today I charged up the battery since my voltage regulator is fried.Without the muffler I can barely get it to move.With it hooked up I can get it going but I can't get it to wind up and there's that strange squeak/knock/tap going on whenever it pops or gets to the point where it WOULD have wound up before.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #22
racin161
Gone Wild

Pull the jug it's trying to self destroy.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #23
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Will do.Hope it isn't wiped out already.Think I got the rings in upside down?Once I got them started they went in pretty nice.I'm out of ideas though and I have the muffler off already so pulling the engine again isn't a big deal.

I think the cart has what I call "field anxiety".If the cart could talk it would say "Why in the hell should I run for you?You're probably just going to ditch me in a field like the last guy did.".It takes time and effort to get them through this trauma, but with patience honest effort and goodwill it can be done.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #24
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Ok, I didn't get to pulling the jug today but I did have a good look in the exhaust port.Everything looks absolutely pristine.Besides a bit of carbon and oily fuel residue there isn't a scratch, scuff, or anything that makes me think internal damage is even beginning to happen.Granted I can't get a perfect 360 degree view of everything, but I can see a pretty good amount of the bore, and I can see the bottom side of the piston.Piston, rings, bore, everything looks great.If you still think I should pull the jug I will, but I'm leaning towards something else.I just have no idea what it might be.I think I'm going to get a good voltage regulator and get it charging.Besides that I'm completely lost in the dark.I really need some help here.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #25
racin161
Gone Wild

Heli are you still on the 40:1 ? What does the plug look like ? Where are you at on compression. Something GOFFIEEEE going on here.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

I don't think I'm exactly at 40:1 but I am running 3 ounces per gallon which ought to be pretty rich.The plug is blackened, which I expected.It still seems to be firing ok though.I have to wait on a compression tester.I had two, but they somehow disappeared when I cleaned out my shop.I should have the results today.I'll also see about getting some video of what it's doing/not doing.Maybe that can help with diagnosing it.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Looks like I'll be taking it apart after all.Compression test came up with a miserable 60 PSI.Maybe I do have the rings backwards, I don't know.I'm surprised it runs at all.Hope it's just the rings in backwards and that it didn't damage anything.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #28
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

I don't know what the hell is going on now.Just for kicks I ran compression on another tester and it came up 90 pounds.The only reason I don't have it apart right now is because the gauge is bouncing on every upstroke of the piston and appears to be leaking down.So I think the compression may be better than the gauge is reading.I ran it again just to take better stock of what it's doing as well.It's still not winding up, but if I feather the choke I can get it to run smoother.When it's winding down and I let off the choke it's getting some good blasts out the exhaust port.I'm about to make pipe bombs and send this **** thing to Valhalla, except I have too much time in it already.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

I switched the wires around on my HEI today and got it to wind up.I hooked up the exhaust and that's when I noticed something amiss.See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GZKA...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #30
racin161
Gone Wild

Well now that sucks! Looks like the jug couldn't take the .050 over bore.Told you something was GOOFEEE.

LOU
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO