lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Thechap9528
Not Yet Wild

Default New Owner: 1988 EZ-Go Marathon

Hello all,
This is my first post on this site as well as my first time owning a golf cart. I received this cart (in title) as a free gift with purchase of a camper at a camp site, it ran great for the first 2 days (still on old gas).

Backstory: Ran the old gas out of it and went ahead and mixed up some new gas to put in. I mixed 16 ounces of 2 cycle oil into a 5 gallon can and thats what i used for my new gas feed. I took my cart up through the mountains for about 45 mins - 1 hour with no problems at all. On my way back to my camper i stopped to let someone cross the road and have been having problems with it since.

Problem: Once i stopped and tried to move again, the engine slugged down very drastically. It resulted in me just barely "putting" along until finally it stopped all together. If i let it sit for about 10 minutes or so i can once again drive it, but only for 10 minutes before it acts up again and leaves me sit.

Things tried so far: The problem to me i thought seemed along the lines of a fuel problem, so i changed the spark plug, fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, and some of the fuel line. These seemed to help a little but no where near fixed the problems.

Any suggestions on what i could do to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. My next guess to check/fix would be the carbeurator?
Thechap9528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: New Owner: 1988 EZ-Go Marathon

That would be my best bet also...take carb off, take all jets out and clean them through with carb cleaner...you may be surprised at some of the sludge in the float bowl when you take it apart.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Thechap9528
Not Yet Wild

As of 6:00 PM i have fixed the problem all it was was the plug that runs from the coil to the spark plug wasnt in properly on the coil side. easy fix after i put in all the other parts but i guess they dont hurt
Thechap9528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

Welcome 9528 your mix is WAY to rich you should be running 5oz per 5 gallons of gas. 128:1 or 1oz per gallon.At the rate your running your going to foul plugs and/or plug the exhaust.Mixing in a separate container is right making sure you have the oil and gas mixed well before fueling.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
firecart1
Getting Wild

I suggest pulling all the old fuel out and starting a heck of a bonfire with it....Like Lou said, 1 oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas!! Otherwise you will plug that little gem up like an old lady that needs prunes!!
firecart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO