lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Angry Growling, clunking sound going forward

I have this sound that is driving me nuts (well, that is not a drive, just a short putt). Its heard mostly when moving forward. If I let off the gas it disappears, at least to my hearing. I have checked a couple of things that it may be but haven't ruled out much. If I am in gear and the driven clutch is locked up and the engine running (stay running mod) I can hear the sound so that rules out the driven clutch. Listening with a broom stick I can hear the starter/generator sounding pretty rough (may need new bearings) but not the clunking sound. What noises will the drive clutch make if something in there has gone bad. Now I have the mod spring in there to allow the engine to keep running but I never heard the noise when I first installed the spring or don't remember hearing it. Not coming from the engine, he said will some certainty. So I am down to the starter/generator and drive clutch. The noise stops or gets quieter when going forward and letting off the gas. Anyone have any thoughts on this?? I can't check out much right now as the cart is at the ranch now, but want to be able to do some more checking after Christmas. Oh yeah, Merry Christmas to all.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Growling, clunking sound going forward

69 views and no one has a suggestion. :l
Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas001 View Post
69 views and no one has a suggestion. :l
Yeah at 70,745 - Members:, i would say 69 views is nothing

I guess were talking about the 03 TXT??

Ok you say, when going forward you hear this sound? but then, you say you hear it when it is sitting still running/not going forward??? i would say it's in the clutch, maybe something came loose, if you think it's the starter/gen? crank the motor, and while it is running, loosen the belt and move the starter/gen forward, so it's not spinning, and if it is the starter the noise will stop, one less thing for it to be
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for that idea Rib. I didn't think about loosing the belt on the alt/starter after it was running. I will try that next. It is just a matter of elimination I guess. Maybe even I can find something loose or broken in the clutch. Found a good deal on the clutch but want to be sure before I buy it.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
rib33024

yeah with out being there to look at it, it's just narrowing down where it is coming from, check out those things and let us know what you find, becarful when you loosen that belt running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas001 View Post
Thanks for that idea Rib. I didn't think about loosing the belt on the alt/starter after it was running. I will try that next. It is just a matter of elimination I guess. Found a good deal on the clutch but want to be sure before I buy it.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think I can loosen the bolts holding the belt tight and then using a bar pull the alt/starter tight on the belt to start and then ease off the bar. The cart is at the ranch now but I will be going down there next week and check it out. Thanks again for your suggestion.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I got a surprise. I loosened the starter/generator so I could use a bar to tighten it to start then relieve the belt tension to all the starter to stop running. Only problem is it doesn't stop running. It keeps right on turning. I use able to then slip the belt off while it was running and using a stethoscope listened to the starter. It was smooth. So I guess it is the drive clutch. Found one cheap, at least cheaper than most but without buying a $50 (w/shipping) puller it still isn't cheap to replace. I guess I am going to bend over and take it in and have the shop replace the clutch(my clutch) which means I get it stuck in me. Thanks for your ideas. Wanted you to know about the starter continuing to run.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO