lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
floridatony
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 Western (EZGO Marathon) 48v upgrade questions

Hello Everyone,

I would like to open up my first post with a thank you to all that have inspired me to finally purchase a golf cart. As a student living in Pacific Beach San Diego, I have always yearned for one to cruise the beaches with buddies, and finally pulled the trigger! The other day, I drove and purchased a very good condition 1990 Western Golf and Country with a title in AZ. Much to my dismay, I thought that since it was titled, I wouldn't have to do the testing at the DMV to get CA plates, but looks like I do. One of the requirements is that it must reach 20mph to be considered a LSV, and at the current 36v it's looking more like 16mph.

So, tomorrow I'm buying six 8v batteries (and returning the 2 day old 6volts). I understand that there is far more to the conversion, and have a few questions for the knowledgable at BuggiesGoneWild.

Questions:

1. I know that I need to switch out the cables to 4g. Which wires on the following diagram do I need to switch? http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1...pezgo92gn2.png

2. Over the web, there are conflicting stories on what else needs to be switched out. As a resistor cart, I thankfully don't need to switch out the controller. And as long as I drive WOT as much as I can, the resistors should be safe for awhile (I think.) However, there are things like the solenoid(s) and f/r switch that have conflicting info on whether or not they need to be switched out. As a poor college student that has been nearly bankrupted by this project (JK!) I'd rather switch out the least that I can. What is your opinion on how to prolong the life of the rest of the cart or what I need to switch out?

3. My cart has a radio, blower and headlights/taillights. I am worried about how a voltage increase to 48v might affect these. I assume that there is some form of voltage reducer from 36v to 12v, but I am not sure and haven't been able to find any info about it. What do I need to do to properly protect these from the increase to 48v? Add a different voltage reducer?

-Things that I already have purchased is a new Battery level meter for 48v as well as a stanley 48v charger.

Guys, I can't thank you enough in advance. I've attached some photos of the cart for your viewing pleasure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cartintruck.jpg (218.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart1.jpg (214.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart2.jpg (215.7 KB, 0 views)
floridatony is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
floridatony
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1990 Western (EZGO Marathon) 48v upgrade questions

I just thought that I should clarify: from what I understand my (and all) Western Golf and country's are based off the EZGo Marathon. I even have an EZGO key!

So, if any of you are electric marathon experts....

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I hate to burst your balloon but you should have done some more research before you made your LSV purchase. It will be quite expensive to get this heavy old cart up to 20 mph. Putting 8v batteries in it will not get you going as fast as you require and it will not run long before the speed wiper has a melt down.
Sell this cart and buy an Ezgo PDS cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Tony, you got an answer, and I am sure it wasn't the one you truly wanted to hear, BUT, it is the right answer....and good advice, considering what you would be faced with to accomplish your end goal.

oh and btw......Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
floridatony
Not Yet Wild

Wow,

Scottyb, thank you very much for the input. While definitely not the news I wanted to hear, I am glad I got it from someone as knowledgable and respected as yourself.

This morning I took delivery of 6-8v US Batteries. Between them and the non working cart, I am only in the hole for approx $750.

While I understand that much more is going to have to go in to break the 20mph threshold, I am totally prepared to do it. Thankfully these electronics seem to be the simplest thing I've seen!

I am grabbing approx 30' of 4g cable right now, and am ordering the solenoids tonight. Is a full motor swap necessary to reach my desired speed?

Scottyb, if you HAD to get this thing to break 20mph, what would you do? :)

Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

These pics are of an identical cart that has been converted to solid state.
This is what you will have to do....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4644.JPG (939.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4647.JPG (1.01 MB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
floridatony
Not Yet Wild

Dear Boards,

Thank you so much for the input. Somehow I broke 20 mph and I am now a happy camper with CA Plates!

So far, I've switched out the solenoid, replaced all the heavy gauge wiring with #4, put a 4in economy lift on, and installed 6 8v batteries. I can totally tell that those wiper contacts are going to give me issues, and once they do I'll be looking into the conversion to solid state. For now, I'm having the time of my life!

Unfortunately, with the voltage increase my radio will not turn on, even though the headlights, horn, blower etc all work fine. I am worried the extra voltage may have fried the head unit, and I can;t seem to find a blown fuse suggesting it was "saved."

Am I completely out of luck on the radio or is there a way I can get it jamming again?

Thanks so much!

Tags
48v, ezgo, western
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO