lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Wylie_Tunes
Getting Wild

Default Re: LED Light Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I guess my question is really, can a high powered LED get brighter and dimmer based on voltage? All the itty-bitty LEDs I've played with are either on or off. I'd like a headlight that has "Bright" and "Dim" mode, like I have now. I can't really call them high beams and low beams, as their focal point doesn't change, but two 55 watt halogens in series is a lot less obnoxious to parked carters than two in parallel.
I can say that yes, an LEDs intensity does change with voltage. I custom cut/wire a ton of waterproof LED strips, as well as use a variety of other LED pods, etc. I bench test all my strips before installation and then again once installed. This is typically long before the vehicles/vessels battery is put back into service. I use a 9V battery for testing and they are noticeably brighter with 12V and then again with 13.5 when the alternator is charging. On some applications, we use a dimmer POT switch so the intensity can be controlled.
Wylie_Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Bull203
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Being semiconductor devices, LEDs operate on amps rather than volts, so light output can be varied by varying the resistance in series, as well as varying the voltage applied to the series chain, or by varying the duty cycle of the applied voltage.

You asked earlier about it having one LED. It might be in one package, but to get white light, you have to have more than one PN junction since white light is the combination of Red, Green and Blue light and the color of light emitted is determined by the energy band gap of the PN junction and is monochromatic.
beat me to it

BTW, well said Johnnie, amazed at the knowledge on here sometimes.....
Bull203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

What's your background Bull? Some of y'all are electrically trained, and some of us have just picked up info along the way. I'm a civil engineer, but have been playin' with electrical stuff for 40 years, much of which was WAY before the Internet. My Dad gave me a 15 kV 30 ma neon sign transformer when I was around 10. Think he was tryin' to off me?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I haven't played with bright LEDs too much. I bought 100 bright white LEDs a couple of years back, but don't even remember why, other than they were really cheap.

I remember a neighbor who's an electrical engineer telling me his LED MagLight kept dying, so he returned it to Home Depot a few times, before figuring out it was just dying batteries. With my old-school Krypton (I think) incandescent MagLights, I could tell when batteries were conking out, as they got dimmer and dimmer. Apparently with my neighbor's Maglight, it would basically leave him stranded, as it gave no dimming warning, or at least not noticeable.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
Springlake
I Believe !!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Got'em in my hoarded clutter. Thanks!
I thought you cleared all that H Clutter out?
Springlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springlake View Post
I thought you cleared all that H Clutter out?
Got rid of a lota stuff I'll prolly regret, like my 40s or 50s era aviation gyro, but I still got WAY more crap then I need, but have a LOT more room. I'd be shocked if I got rid of less than one ton a stuff over the past five months.

Every time I toss sumpin', I usually need it within a month AFTER gettin' rid of it.

As I told family, with eBay, I'm re-balancing free stuff I already have, vs. space.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yurtle, I have these exact lights, too. I also have them hooked up as "brights", with some lower watt LED's used as "lows". These eBay lights are capable of input voltage of 10-30 volts, so I'm positive they won't "dim" using a lower voltage, nor "brighten" using a higher voltage. Just a heads up.......

I can vouch for the fact that they are well-built, & are PLENTY bright enough for a cart. They're bright white, & will illuminate stuff @ 100-150 yds. easily....

I considered hooking them up in series, & using pack voltage to supply them, without using the reducer. In theory, they'd handle 20-60 volts hooked in series, so my 48 volt pack would be right in the middle....

Last edited by Knothead; 10-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Added something
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
Sethjamto
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Cree LED's are quality LEDs, and yes, LEDs can be dimmed. Aquariums use them all the time and I'm about to put about a $1000 worth of LEDs onto my 300 saltwater reef tank that can be dimmed from 1%-100%.
Sethjamto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

While yes, leds can be dimmed, but these particular lights clearly have some voltage/current regulator built in to each housing. There is no way any led can withstand 30v, without some regulation. There are no leds that are 12v natively either. This probably means that the lights will cut out pretty quickly when the voltage is not sustained above 10v to the regulation system.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #20
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjamto View Post
Cree LED's are quality LEDs, and yes, LEDs can be dimmed. Aquariums use them all the time and I'm about to put about a $1000 worth of LEDs onto my 300 saltwater reef tank that can be dimmed from 1%-100%.
The way LED's are dimmed nowadays is to pulse the voltage to the LED. Changing from a high frequency pulsation to a lower frequency pulsation will result in the LED being excited for less overall time. Very similar to a modern golf cart controller.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO