lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default 8HP Briggs in G1?

I'll start with the obvious: I did a search and found nothing on this. I'm sure it's been done someone, somewhere.

I also know that in a G1 I'll lose my reverse. This I think I can deal with.

I've been working on my G1 for a while now and have the lift all built, bigger tires and wheels and now working on the body.

I've been having troubles with the fuel on this 2 stroke and even after I installed new seals it is still hard to start. Once started it runs pretth good but it's just a struggle getting it started the first time.

I also do have a Generac I'll eventually put in a cart, when I find a good candidate. (Questions on that candidate later)

Fo now I just want a cart to putt around. I'm not looking for high speed or even monstor torque. I'm looking more for something that I can just take down the road to the river (about a mile away) and enjoy a leisurely ride with my wife.

I'll also be using this cart to figure out some mods I'll be trying for when I build the Generac monster.

Enough already, as I didn't want to make this a long starting post.

I have an industrial 8hp Briggs just setting on the shelf. It's in perfect shape and runs good. It also has a fuel tank that is seperate from the carb so could easily be converted over to external tank.

I just wondered if this engine would have enough power to do what I want? As said, I'm not looking for a hot rod torque monster from this cart. I just like the thought and dependability of 4 stroke.

I can work on mods using this cart and practice my fab skills as well.

I also figured that even though the 8hp is just pull start that I could use the original starter/gen to start the new engine as well as still keep the battery charged.

Any thoughts from any of you here? Anyone here tried this one? Also, what clutch would you recommend? I don't want to spend a lot on this build as I still need a lot for the bigger, badder build.

I'm looking for any thoughts, ideas or "Don't Do It's"
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: 8HP Briggs in G1?

I would think that the set up would be very similar to dropping a clone into a G1. I just did a clone conversion in my G1 cart. It's not the best cart to do the conversion with but a few of us on here have done it with good success. Swapping in a G2 rear end will let you maintain your reverse gear. I would search the Big Block clone section for dropping clone motors in G1s. Tons of good info there.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The 8hp I/C Briggs is a good motor.Eliminate the govenor and put a decent exhaust on it(factory ones are super restrictive).It will work decent as a replacement,and likely have some extra grunt too.The crankshaft should be 1",so the CPP adapter will work with your clutch.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Pachanga. I'll look up the adapter as it would be much better than buying a clutch since I got my G1 working like it's supposed too.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok, what would be a good muffler upgrade for this engine? I can make the exhaust myself but not sure what muffler would be a good one.

Can you tell I'm new to this stuff?
Old 03-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Check and see what the clone guys are using.There are some go kart mufflers for racing that are decent and good prices too,some under $30.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I took a look at my engine and the crank is 3/4" instead of 1". I can make an adapter to up it to 1" on my lathe and as long as tight in the clutch it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll have to take a look and see how that looks.

But I'll figure it out. Thanks for the ideas on the muffler Pachanga. I should have thought about that one.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post
I took a look at my engine and the crank is 3/4" instead of 1". I can make an adapter to up it to 1" on my lathe and as long as tight in the clutch it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll have to take a look and see how that looks.

But I'll figure it out. Thanks for the ideas on the muffler Pachanga. I should have thought about that one.
You may want to look into making a tapered adapter to fit on the 3/4 crank....if your gonna go through the hassle of making one then make one that will fit the clutch as it's not set up to fit a 1 inch straight shaft. The adapter they sale fits on a 1 inch shaft and is tapered to fit the clutch.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
Field6565
Gone Wild

Here is a pic of the tapered clutch adapter on a 1 inch shaft to support the clutch.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Getting the taper right would be my worry. I don't have a taper attachment for my lathe. But, I do have another G1 engine in my parts cart. I think it's the 82 model and even with the plug in it barely has any compression at all. I could cut the taper off the crank and make my own adapter.

I'll pull the engine out and get the clutch off then see what I have.

I will probably pull the rear end and cradle out. Lock the rear and build the cradle to fit the 8hp too and get it all ready to install in the G1. Just ride the cart as it is until I get everything ready.

I did however start the cart, pulled the choke and it only cranked a couple times before it started. So there may be hope for the 2 stroke. At least for now until I can get the 8hp figured out and ready to install.

Anyone have a link to how to wire this cart so that I can run the starter/gen on it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha