lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
onthethreshold
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Dual Coils

I am currently fabricating a 244 cc head to accept dual plugs .Can a second coil be hooked up to the factory wiring to the original coil to power the second plug ? Would this cause a resistance ,heat problem etc.Thanks in advance .BTW/1985 Marathon,244cc robins 2pg is the cart I am working on .
onthethreshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Re: Dual Coils

If you add another coil, then the ignitor will have to handle the current of both coils. This will overheat and probably fry the ignitor. What you could do is use a 4 stroke 295cc dual coil and run it off your existing 2pg ignitor/pulsar. I think the primary coil ohm values of 2pg and 295cc 4 stroke are around 3.5-4 ohms each.

Sounds like a interesting project. Keep us posted.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Aircraft engines use dual spark plugs, and magnetos for reliability, and safety. While performing a magneto check there is a slight drop in RPM, so I guess there could be a slight advantage to performance too by creating a more even burn in the cylinder.

I'm not seeing the advantage in a low performance golf cart engine, especially if both plugs are going to be run by the same ignition system.
I would be interested in hearing what the goal is, and what the motivating factors are behind this project. I also understand that sometimes just the coolness factor is a good enough reason.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Yep,there isn't enough motor there to really notice a difference with dual-plugs(244cc,8hp,and very low rpm).The motors are very efficient by design,but timing is their biggest downfall,since they are set at/near TDC(0) so they will run forward and backward(reverse-gear).The usual 2-strokes mods will get much better results(carb,exhaust,air-filter,head and port-work),but if you can find a timing setup,that will allow for the timing to run Advanced in Forward,Retarded in Reverse,then you will have people beating your door down,and the cart will run like a bear too.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
hugger6933
Getting Wild

Ford did the two plug thing on the pinto turned Ranger motor in the later 80's. It had the regular plug then on the other side of the head it had another to fire on the exhaust stroke to help in cleaning it up for the EPA and to clean our air. I am not too sure how well it worked cause I'm a Chevy guy but I did build some Rangers back in that time frame because I had a guy that would take every one I could send him that was equipped the way he wanted. No air 4 cyl, 5 sp. white. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Yep,in normal use,dual-plugs are for emissions-purposes,in high performance,they are for burning more fuel than the motor can digest(Top Fuel Dragsters/Funny-Cars).We run dual-fire coils(Harley-type)on our early Triumphs.They fire on the exhaust-stroke of the opposite cylinder,we don't do it for any reason other than the coils work well,no performance or economy gain is noticed either.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
onthethreshold
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok guys, this is part of an ongoing R&D to pull as much as I can from this little workhorse .So far i have done a cold air intake,Bv-24 carb,some mild porting of the intake/reed assembly,ported and transitioned the 3/8 th's aluminum adapter plate from 18mm to 24 mm (will be experimenting with different runner lengths,configurations etc. and am building a dual bv-18 intake mini tunnel ram style but will build a removable dual plane plate to experiment .And yes,i have an idea to make a cable operated timing advance/retard setup. I'm an old gear head and enough is never enough plus it's a lot of fun to hand craft parts and even more fun when they work and perform better than stock or aftermarket .Thus my need for dual plugs to get an assured flame across the cylinder head .Thanks for your input .
onthethreshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

If you don't have an exhaust plan already, I'd recommend an 88 muffler and header pipe. 88 was the only year for those particular two parts, and they were hi-po parts from the factory. 88 mufflers can be had new, but the header pipe would have to be fabbed or bought used for a premium IF you can find one. The 88 exhaust made a big difference in performance - have a look at this thread:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...b-exhaust.html
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
misterpowertools
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think you're on to something. If you had a 2nd pickup, etc. that was advanced running forward, you might make noticeable power... and you would have redundancy.
misterpowertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO