lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
Robc
Not Yet Wild

Cool 1987 ezgo gas crankshaft bearings specs

Hello everyone new to the forum here. I have a 1987 ezgo gas cart and I'm inherited rebuilding the engine which has been a pain and has made me test my religion I have everything apart except the clutch side of the crank case. From what I have researched the bearings need to be pressed on the crankshaft. If this is correct how do I know how far to press them on. Does anyone know the specs. I tried to contact Dave Box cause I have seen that he is very knowledgeable about these carts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Robc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 ezgo gas crankshaft bearings specs

Pages H 15 - H 18. Press the bearings into the case first. Press the case halves close together on the crankshaft, and then draw together with the bolts. Be sure to use some kind of sealer on the case halves.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
99cobra2881
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Good luck ever getting enough heat into the bearings to slip fit them onto the crank if you press them into the case first.

I warmed the bearings up on the hot plate of my bunn coffee maker and slid them onto the crank, used longer bolts to pull the two halves of the block together. Then installed the block bolts and torqued them to spec.

Regardless of which way you assemble the crank and bearings, Use loctite bearing mount and sleeve retainer on the crank seals!!!
99cobra2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
Robc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. I finally found a manual and seen the pictures. Note just have to find a machine shop or someone around here with a press that would be willing to do it. I have called all the cat places around here and no one messes wroth the motors they send them off to someone else.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
Robc
Not Yet Wild

Now just getting the clutch loose. Anyone ever tried the pack the hole with grease and then using a bolt to fit the clutch and supposedly with the pressure build up the clutch will pop off?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
Robc
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the typos dang auto spell.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Usually you just drop a short rod into the hole, and then screw a 3/4" bolt on top.

I used brass so I wouldn't mess up the threads on the crankshaft.

I have heard of guys using grease, but don't know how well that went.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
Robc
Not Yet Wild

I'm going to try the bolt deal. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 06-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #9
99cobra2881
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Still looking for a machine shop? Seriously I told you how to fit the bearings onto the crankshaft. Unless you don't own a coffee maker?

It seriously works and don't use grease, use bits of paper soaked in water, way less mess. Takes a lot of soaked paper to make the clutch pop off but it works. I had to resort to this method after the bolt I used bent over inside the clutch. I grabbed a random bolt off the workbench and low and behold it was a non graded soft bolt. Used bits of water soaked news paper with Teflon tape on the bolt, it took about 15 tries to get it to pop adding water soaked paper between each time.

My engine is back together and making great power.

I build dohc 4.6l modular motors for my AI race car and I was an acft mechanic in the usaf. I can turn a wrench.

99cobra2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:49 AM   #10
my1423
Gone Wild

If you have a car, a saw, a jack and some 2x4 and some screws . You have a good enough press.

For motorcycles i used to do the following. They can be a bear!!
Heat the bearings to 200-250 in the oven or toaster oven.
Slide them all the way onto the crank. Tap with a dead blow on 3 2x4. Screw them into a u and use them as a driver. Make it first of coarse.
Let them cool.

Heat one case in the oven.
Slide on one side. Use your u 2x4.
Let it cool.
Warm the other case half and in that time put sealer onto the half you already pressed.
Repeat placement and torque the halves together.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO