lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
Crimson Wonder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1984 EZGO Wiring

Evening all! I'm new to this site and just got my first cart. I sort of hijacked another thread for my first post but I'm trying to make that right now. I'm a veteran at small engines both 2 and 4 cycle. I haven't however had a small engine that stops/starts based on pressing the pedal and some electrical things. So, I'm trying to sort out the wiring on this cart because it was apparently truly messed up by some teenage boys who didn't know any better and a dad that refused to fix it following the disaster. I was told the solenoid failed and the boys tried to replace it. This led to me being able to trade a broken 93 Dixon mower for this cart.

So to the point. This is a diagram of the wiring as I have found it.
(Please see my photo album due to me being a newbie and unable to post pictures in my post)

This is a picture of the solenoid that was put on the cart.
(Please see my photo album)

Two questions here. First, does this appear to be a proper solenoid for this cart? Second, if so how do I relate the S and I posts to the wiring diagram I found in the manual for this cart on this website?

I haven't put a battery on it yet to start testing things. What size/type battery should I get? I didn't find it listed in the manual.

I'm also assuming that I need to redo the wiring to match the diagram found in the manual?

The manual I keep referring to is 19980-G1

Thanks for all the help in advance! I look forward to joining the golf cart group. Hopefully soon I'll be able to contribute to helping others around here.
Crimson Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
restore49
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1984 EZGO Wiring

This should be the same - very simple set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89wiring8qq.jpg (123.4 KB, 0 views)
restore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You need a 12v continuous duty solenoid. A car starter solenoid will burn up fast.

I doubt that they used the correct one.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
Crimson Wonder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies. Yes it seems like a simple enough setup and after studying the as is wiring and the correct wiring I think I can sort it all out tonight pretty quick. It appears that three things have happened. First, the voltage regulator was partially bypassed and based on the connections it looks like that happened a while back. Second, the attempt to replace the solenoid left some connections unhooked and wrongly connected at the solenoid. Third, the reverse warning was disconnected (I assume a common modification). I will pull the solenoid tonight to find a model name/number to determine if it is a continuous duty model.

Will any car battery work on these as long as it fits the battery tray? Is there a minimum or maximum cranking amps I should be looking to buy?
Old 08-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
restore49
Not Yet Wild

Mine works fine with a car battery group 26RC about as big as will fit. Good heavy duty solenoid should work.
restore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Yours is an 84. It shouldn't have the neutral limit switch shown in the diagram above.

If your FnR switch only has one microswitch, that is the backup buzzer switch. It should be located on the driver's side of the switch.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #7
Crimson Wonder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I sorted out all of the wiring tonight without too much pain. Everything appears to work as it should (even the reverse buzzer). The engine did not start however. That lead to chasing down other things that long story short turned out to be a bad spark plug. I don't have a cross match on hand and the auto store didn't have anything either. So tomorrow I will make a trip to my favorite small engine shop to pick one up. I did throw a spark plug in the wire just to make sure that power was getting to the plug and it was. I had to use a jumper on the ignition switch because I didn't get a key with the cart and the universal ezgo key doesn't fit. May just throw an on off toggle switch on it. Not expecting anybody to steal it.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
Crimson Wonder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Went by my favorite small engine shop to get a plug this morning. They didn't have a bp5hs and sold me a bp4hs as a suitable replacement. Anybody got experience with this swap or recommend a different plug?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I've used the 4hs, 5hs and 6hs the 4 is a hotter plug which would generally help with oil fouling but the dangers are overheating the plug and pre-ignition...the 6hs is a colder plug. if it's going to be used at slow speeds with a lot of stopping (think campground) I may consider going to a 4 if it going to be used under load at higher engine speeds (think kids zooming around the backyard for 6 hours) a lot I may consider going to a 6....the 6 would be more prone to oil fouling at slow speeds, the 4 would be more prone to electrode melting at high speed heavy load....the 5 is a nice balance

Hope this helps clear it up
Sean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Crimson Wonder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info Sean. I like knowing that kind of info. Sounds like the 4hs should work fine for what I currently have planned then. In the meantime I'll research ordering a 5hs to have on the shelf in the event I burn up the 4. Plan to install the spark plug tonight and hopefully it fires up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO