lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need buying advice - Express S4 vs TXT (gas)

Prices seem about "on par" (pun intended) with the market around here in WI, LOL ... Maybe a touch high, but You're buying from a "dealer" so make sure they offer support after the sale IE a warranty, etc and the extra few bucks may not be the worst insurance policy.

One thing to keep in mind, the type of lifts they are using (from the pics it looks like drop-axles, which are pretty much the same from manufacturer to manufacturer) basically just take the stock suspension and relocate it farther away from the body, You gain nothing as far as ride, travel, handling, etc. A true "Long Travel" lift (at least at the important part of the cart, the front end) gives you a MUCH smoother, controlled ride, better handling, and a safer, wider wheelbase.... Personally if I were on the "buying" end of a cart myself, I wouldn't balk at the price so much as versus maybe saying "I'll take it if You swap the lift that's on there for a Jakes Long-Travel". Their cost on the lift is about a $400 difference and about an hour and a half shop time to R&R the kits if they know what they're doing - this time of year it may be a good bet that they'll do it, just to move the inventory.

Also, don't get too hooked on the light kits they have on some of them - the factory (and most aftermarket) "in-cowl" kits put out VERY little useable light, for under $75 and a little time You can install a decent 180-240w LED light bar which will give You the light You NEED if You do a lot of night riding, just another opinion.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #12
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the correction on the HP ratings Brew city
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #13
Rjtwins
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so I threw everybody a curve ball and bought a 2008 ST Sport with the 11hp Subaru for $4k including a new stereo, seat belts (wifes request), tow hitch and a windshield. The dealership just took it in on a trade and it was half the price of the S4's. I know I said that I was gonna pick up the txt earlier in the thread, but when I got there, I really liked the look of the S4....it felt like an offer i couldn't refuse!

Has anybody had a cart with the subaru engine? I was concerned that is was less hp than the newer version, but I don't think the 2 hp difference will make much of a difference for the way we will use it.

It gets delivered on thursday...Im pumped..

Thanks to everyone for the help and insight
Rjtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #14
WVHarley
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

COOL!!! If it felt right and that is the cart that stood out to you then you got the right one I dont have any experience with the Subaru engine but I would not be scared of it. I am sure there are guys here that will be able to help with any questions. Post Pics!
WVHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
Rjtwins
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Harley! Ill post some pics this weekend....
Old 11-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #16
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The Robins/Subaru 350MCI engine in that ST Sport is a FAR better powerplant than the new Kawasakis, being a twin they run a LOT smoother and the clutch setup with the pre-Kawi carts is far superior too. You did good with the decision, believe Me.

Now let's see the dang thing, hahahahaha
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #17
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If the S4 has a 13.5 Kawasaki and heavier suspension I would go with that. Especially if you are going to haul around firewood.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #18
Rjtwins
Not Yet Wild

Brew, thanks for the feedback. I was slightly concerned about the smaller engine on the sport, but The more I read about the Subaru engine, the more I like it. That being said, I'm sure I'm going to want to tweet it in the near future.

I'll post some pics as soon as I complete a couple small projects on the cart, the first of which will be to refinish the wheels. Has anyone used plasti dip or peel coat on their carts wheels? If so, has it help up well? I Have trails throughout our property, and Im hoping that the plasti cote will hold up to some trail riding....
Old 11-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #19
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

RJ, the S4 basically is a TXT with a different cowl, fender flairs and front valance. They can be swapped out. I know, I have done it. The down side is those head lights for that cowl are not cheap.. The one I am liking now is the one on the 2014 and up txts.. I have a full body for an S4 that will go on my next build but thinking now I am going to find a newer standard cowl and use the stock light bar with some leds on the roof.. You will be happy with the Robbins motor. Like Brew said, much smoother in my opinion..

Here are some pics of an S4 cowl with a Jakes long travel

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...st-boke-6.html
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO