lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2003 EZ-Go Gas Surges at Top Speed

Hi all,

I've been reading the forum for a while and getting alot of good info. Finally decided to join and ask you smart gentlemen about the problem I'm having with my cart.

I know this has been addressed on other threads (I think I've read every single one of them), but I'm hoping for some help specific to my situation.

As it sits right now, I've got the drive belt of the clutches so I can rev the engine and take a look at everything. When the pedal is pressed to the floor and it gets up to speed, the engine "surges" as I would call it. It revs up, and then down, and then up, etc. There is also a noticeable difference in speed when I'm actually driving the cart. Based on what I've read so far, I have it narrowed down to the following:

- Bad gas
- Poor gas delivery
- Valves need to be adjusted
- Poor spark
- Bad igniter
- Governor is set too high so it's hitting the rev limiter

Gas is fresh so I can rule that out. I replaced the fuel pump this spring and the carb bowl was full of fuel when I took it off, so I think delivery is fine. Plugs were also new this spring, but they are black as the night, leading me to think it's set too rich.

Haven't messed with valves or igniter. Will look at governor tonight after work.

MY QUESTION IS: is there any one of these that is more likely the culprit than the others? It seems odd to me that 6+ different things could be the cause of one common issue people are having? Also, could the fuel/air mixture be causing the problem some as well in addition to ruining my new plugs?

Thanks in advance!
michaelmc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2003 EZ-Go Gas Surges at Top Speed

Sounds like it's hitting the rev limiter put the belt on and Jack up the cart and floor it and see if the belt comes to the top of the primary clutch and sinks to the bottom of secondary​ clutch if belt doesn't come to top of the primary pull the cover off and check for broken weight
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I was leaning towards the rev limiter as well, but I'm admittedly a novice when it comes to golf carts. If the belt comes to the top of the primary and the bottom of the secondary, it's likely the rev limiter. So to fix that I just loosen the spring on the governor, correct?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yeah I would start there
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I didn't even get that far tonight... I put the carb back on and the engine won't go above idle, whether I choke it or not. I have spark, not sure on compression, but it fires when I spray ether in the carb so I think it's a fuel problem. I sprayed the carb out with carb cleaner and I've got the float needle soaking in cleaner overnight. What's considered "good fuel" to the carb? I replaced all fuel lines and only have what I would consider a trickle coming to the carb.. Bowl won't fill whatsoever. It seems like the float is not allowing the needle to come out far enough to allow fuel in. Any other guesses? Sorry to digress, but it's hard to test the rev meter when it won't rev!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #6
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

I'm curious about the condition of the plugs and the fuel dilivery problem.

It doesn't seem like they should be anywhere close to fouled or black if the engine is starved for fuel.

Does your carb still have the plastic limiter on the needle that's on top??
mike_dmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #7
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Plugs are black as night. It ran fine two days ago, but I was having issues with what I'm guessing is the rev limiter (see above). As part of tinkering with everything I pulled the carb to give it a good clean (I bought the cart this spring and no clue when it was cleaned last). I put it back on yesterday and now it won't get past idle... The carb does have the plastic limiter on the top needle. I turned that every which way and still nothing more than an idle.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

RESOLUTION: I put the carb back together wrong... Stupid me. Needle and float were not assembled correctly so the float was holding the needle shut, starving the carb and engine of fuel.

Surging was resolved by loosening the governor linkage as Spicyunicorn mentioned originally. Cart is back up and running and governor set low enough to not hit the rev limiter. I don't need super duper speed for my neighborhood and campground driving anyway.

Thanks to all for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO