lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
YamaKart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Bogs or Hesitates Mid Throttle 2002 G-16

If throttle is pushed normally, the engine will bog. If throttle is pressed very slowly it will rev without the bog.
Here are the things I've done
1. Remove and clean gas tank
2. All new fuel hoses
3. New vacuum hose
4. New Fuel Filter
5. New Fuel Pump
6. New Carburetor
7. New Spark Plug
8. New intake gaskets (3)
9. New fuel with ethanol additive
Compression check is right on at 178
Engine starts instantly, adjusted carb (seems best at 1 1/2 to 2 turns out). No signs of leaky crankcase (no oil visible). Other than the "bogging" the cart runs well.
Could a mis-adjusted mechanical governor cause this issue? (although it seems to run okay).

Last edited by YamaKart; 02-06-2019 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Could magneto (coil) be the culprit?
YamaKart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Bogs or Hesitates Mid Throttle 2002 G-16

Governor won't do it, but $27 "mok-oh-no" Chinese carbs will. More of those Chinese junk carbs don't work than do work.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Governor won't do it, but $27 "mok-oh-no" Chinese carbs will. More of those Chinese junk carbs don't work than do work.

Clean your OEM carb real well and you'll be much better off. You can use the bowl gasket off the junk China carb but that's about all it's good for
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
YamaKart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The Original Carb bogged. Took it down using a factory service manual. It didn't change. Bought new carb, it does the same thing. I feel good about eliminating the carburetor, unless I have two with exactly the same issue.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

was the original an OEM carb? OEM should say "MIKUNI" on the side of it. IF it says anything other than Mikuni it's a knockoff and would not surprise me if it does the same thing. The knock off's usually say "Mokini"

Did you buy the cart like this or did it run well before and this is a new issue coming up?

Have you checked valve lash adjustment?

Once it bogs for a few seconds does it continue to bog and run bad or does it eventually clear up and run well? Try and run the cart, and make it bog out. Then immediately stop the cart and pull the plug, let us know what it looks and smells like.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
YamaKart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It is a Mikuni. When I bought this poorly taken care of cart, it needed the choke pulled a little to run well. Lack of gas, right? I still think it may be a fuel issue, but I have not checked the valve lash, and you can bet it's never been checked since it was manufactured. I'll order a valve cover gasket, if I can't source one locally. Then check the valves. I've got the service manual so it shouldn't be a problem, although there may be a special tool necessary. I'll have to check on that. If it starts to bog, and you continue to press the pedal, it will die. Could improper valve lash cause the crankcase vacuum to be reduced? If so that could be the issue, fuel pump doesn't get enough vacuum quickly enough to furnish gas on throttle up. Thanks for giving your input.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Heres where I would start...

1. Thoroughly clean the OEM carb and blow it out with compressed air through every passage you can find. I use an ultrasonic cleaner but not really necessary unless you run across a particularly nasty carb. I dont know if G16 has a plastic spacer like G2/G9 but look at that closely if so. And make sure any gaskets between the carb snd head are good.

2. Check compression.

3. Check valve lash

4. Check the spark plug (and make sure it's even the right one)

5. Make sure the exhaust isn't plugged up causing it to be grumpy.

Let us know what you find :)
Old 02-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
YamaKart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

To Repeat from initial post:

2. All new fuel hoses
3. New vacuum hose
4. New Fuel Filter
5. New Fuel Pump
6. New Carburetor
7. New Spark Plug
Old 02-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaKart View Post
To Repeat from initial post:

2. All new fuel hoses
3. New vacuum hose
4. New Fuel Filter
5. New Fuel Pump
6. New Carburetor
7. New Spark Plug
Understood, but that still doesn't include checking valve lash, and by check spark plug I meant read the plug. See my previous post about making it bog and immediately pulling the plug to inspect it. is it wet? Dry? smell like raw fuel?

New carburetor doesn't mean good carburetor. I'd still clean the old one really well.

And check exhaust to make sure it's not plugged up. There's baffles inside the exhaust that sometimes deteriorate and can clog the exhaust and make it run like poopoo.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Understood, but that still doesn't include checking valve lash, and by check spark plug I meant read the plug. See my previous post about making it bog and immediately pulling the plug to inspect it. is it wet? Dry? smell like raw fuel?

New carburetor doesn't mean good carburetor. I'd still clean the old one really well.

And check exhaust to make sure it's not plugged up. There's baffles inside the exhaust that sometimes deteriorate and can clog the exhaust and make it run like poopoo.
G2 runs good to high rpm in neutral. Bogs down in gear.would this still probably be carb?
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha