lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Barely Runs

My 1995 G14 smokes .
It will turn over but won’t move . Changed the plug and it helped.
But still sputtering and popping.
Pretty sure it needs rings.
Until then what can I do to help it?

Plug was really fouled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdavila99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Barely Runs

Have you checked compression?

If the plug looks that bad and gunked up, I'm guessing it's been burning oil for quite some time. I'd check to make sure the exhaust isnt plugged too
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:17 PM   #3
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

If the plug looks that bad and gunked up, I'm guessing it's been burning oil for quite some time. I'd check to make sure the exhaust isnt plugged too

Thanks
How exactly do I check exhaust for pluggage?

Old 03-29-2019, 11:18 PM   #4
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:

I have not checked compression.
I will Sunday.
Any tips?

Old 03-30-2019, 04:10 AM   #5
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavila99999 View Post
My 1995 G14 smokes .
It will turn over but won’t move . Changed the plug and it helped.
But still sputtering and popping.
Pretty sure it needs rings.
Until then what can I do to help it?

Plug was really fouled.

The first thing I'd do is stop trying to force it to run till you figure out the problems. Pull the valve cover and see if the valves are closing -- check your valve lash. Check the choke to be sure it's opening all the way. Check the air box for obstructions and be sure it's getting all the air it needs. The biggest problem is using the pedal start - maybe have to choke it to start then only driving a few feet and never heating the plug so it can clean itself. Then do a compression test.
I found a plug like that in my G2 when I bought it - bypassed the pedal switch and it ran great but smoked very bad --- I went the Vegas Carts way
and never looked back.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
The first thing I'd do is stop trying to force it to run till you figure out the problems. Pull the valve cover and see if the valves are closing -- check your valve lash. Check the choke to be sure it's opening all the way. Check the air box for obstructions and be sure it's getting all the air it needs. The biggest problem is using the pedal start - maybe have to choke it to start then only driving a few feet and never heating the plug so it can clean itself. Then do a compression test.

I found a plug like that in my G2 when I bought it - bypassed the pedal switch and it ran great but smoked very bad --- I went the Vegas Carts way

and never looked back.

Gotcha
Why and how do I bypass the pedal switch on a G14?

Old 03-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:

and never looked back.

When I pull the valve cover do I need to replace the gasket?
What other options is there to using the pedal start?

Old 03-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I would start first with a compression test, make sure youbhild the throttle.wide open when doing it.

Its quick, easy, and will tell us a lot more without rewiring, and chasing other stuff.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
I would start first with a compression test, make sure youbhild the throttle.wide open when doing it.

Its quick, easy, and will tell us a lot more without rewiring, and chasing other stuff.
Before you can do an honest compression test you have to remove all other possible faults first - if a valve is held open what is a compression test going to tell you?

Bypassing the pedal switch is not necessary at this time -- down the road after you get it running.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Before you can do an honest compression test you have to remove all other possible faults first - if a valve is held open what is a compression test going to tell you?

Bypassing the pedal switch is not necessary at this time -- down the road after you get it running.
Agreed. I always start with a compression test so I know where I start. Then adjust valves and recheck compression. After that I move onward to carb, exhaust, spark, timing, etc.

I just like to get a baseline if what I being home and start with before I start messing with jt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha