lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
brinkkl2000
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 Not Charging... another one

Put a new s/g and battery on, not a v/r yet as I don't think it is my problem. I swear I have looked at every page out there on this topic. Maybe someone can tell me if I simply have a bad s/g. I did all the usual checks with no results. Resistance between red and green is 5.5 ohms. I hooked the green directly to ground and probed the red, not connected to anything, and got no voltage whatsoever out of the s/g. Don't know if that is a legitimate test or not though. Do I need to put 12 Volts to it to excite it first?
brinkkl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: G9 Not Charging... another one

Hook everything up and start the cart on jack stands. With the engine running what is your voltage at the battery? Should be around 14.5volts (give or take). Disconnect the field (green) wire from the voltage regulator and ground it, voltage should jump to 17+ volts.

If voltage jumps high, then starter/generator is good, voltage regulator is not. If voltage does not change then the starter/generator is bad.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
brinkkl2000
Not Yet Wild

Must be the s/g then. I have tried that numerous times and the voltage always stays at battery voltage. Brand New s/g though, that's why I am wondering if I am missing something. Just took it out of the box today.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkkl2000 View Post
Must be the s/g then. I have tried that numerous times and the voltage always stays at battery voltage. Brand New s/g though, that's why I am wondering if I am missing something. Just took it out of the box today.
I'm assuming an aftermarket one? I have had nothing but troubles with the aftermarket ones.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I'm assuming an aftermarket one? I have had nothing but troubles with the aftermarket ones.
I couldnt agree more. Call plowmans and order a nee one from them. Send the aftermarket one you got back to buggies unlimited or amazon.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
brinkkl2000
Not Yet Wild

Sending the old one back.

Are you referring to plowmanscarts.com? I am a bit scared of aftermarket at this part. Is he oem or at least high quality aftermarket?
Old 09-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I'm pretty sure he is OEM, except 2 situations, OEM no longer available, or he makes an even better one. I'm sure he's not one of those fly-by-night operations slanging cheapo aftermarket junk. I would trust what he sells.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Sending the old one back.

Are you referring to plowmanscarts.com? I am a bit scared of aftermarket at this part. Is he oem or at least high quality aftermarket?
yes. They are a site sponsor here, and Don is a wealth of information when necessary. But they stock OEM parts, hard to find a trustworthy source for OEM parts online but I'd trust anything coming from him.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #9
brinkkl2000
Not Yet Wild

Got the Plowman's starter and, and everything works 100%. Thank you for the help and I would definitely recommend Plowman's to anyone, they have been very helpful.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Got the Plowman's starter and, and everything works 100%. Thank you for the help and I would definitely recommend Plowman's to anyone, they have been very helpful.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about him, ever. And don't expect to.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha