lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
RansomedCarts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G2 Crank no start issue

Hello. I'm brand new here and was given a yamaha g2 golf cart. It previously ran great but one day in the middle of a drive it just died and has not run since. upon inspection, I noticed some back pressure coming out the carb. I found out that the spacer for the carb had a crack in it and was causing an air leak. I changed that and put a new carb on it (old one was original and was pretty crusty). It now how's new gaskets, spacer and carb, also a new spark plug, but still will not run. It acts like it has a back pressure problem (sending smoke and gas vapors out the intake. Any one have any ideas what could be wrong. I'm new to working on engines, so any help would be great. Thank you.
RansomedCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
shibbershabber
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G2 Crank no start issue

You said it has a new carb?

Yamaha part or Chinese Amazon part?
Is it properly adjusted?
shibbershabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Get a valve cover gasket (replacement will be necessary), remove valve cover, put pushrod back in place, properly adjust valves, clean VC gasket & replace. Then, go for a drive.

After that, you will probably notice it runs like crap, the solution to this is clean up your original carb & put it back. You can thank me later.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
RansomedCarts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Get a valve cover gasket (replacement will be necessary), remove valve cover, put pushrod back in place, properly adjust valves, clean VC gasket & replace. Then, go for a drive.

After that, you will probably notice it runs like crap, the solution to this is clean up your original carb & put it back. You can thank me later.
So... i went in to adjust the valves and it looks bad. I'm not exactly sure on the terms, but it looks to me like the push rod is broken off and the part that sits onto of the valve spring on the exhaust side was point straight up in the air. When I manually turn the engine over, it doesn't even try to move. I'm not sure what to do from here. This cart was not well maintained by the previous owner, so I don't know it it needs an engine rebuild, or a total engine swap for something else. Please help. Thank you all in advance.

I don't know how to upload photos on her, or I would send photos of what i'm talking about.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
RansomedCarts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Old 05-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
RansomedCarts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Here are a couple pictures of the issue i'm having.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9425.jpeg (89.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 61040715707__7A955A67-CFDC-44DC-96FB-77F739C3ED3C.jpg (141.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

call don plowman www.plowmanscarts.com and buy a new set of push rods.

This happens when the valves aren't adjusted regularly and they get so loose that the push rod falls out. usually they'll just fall out, just put it back in, set the lash to .004 and you're good to go. looks like yours bound up on something and snapped so it will need to be replaced, but once you get new ones drop them in, set the valve lash and you should be good. keep in mind the part that broke off is in there somewhere, i'd fish down there with a magnet into the galley and it's probably dropped to the bottom next to the bottom of the part that's still sticking up. make sure to pull that piece out before replacing it and running the motor.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

What happened to the broken off pieces? I'd be worried about those pieces getting stuck in the bottom end somewhere and damaging the connecting rod, piston, crank, etc. You might have to open up the engine to inspect and retrieve the broken parts.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
Chupula
Not Yet Wild

Yikes! I have the same cart, but have not had this issue. Happy to use mine for reference though... just LMK.
Chupula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
RansomedCarts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you guys! I appreciate all the help. Am I right that the push rod just bolts onto the rocker there? From how it looks right now, it looks like it just broke off a the bottom of the threads on the top of the push rod where it attaches to the rocker. (I hope i have the part names correct). Long term goal for this cart is to completely rebuild the engine, but for now, I want to get it running again. So replacing the push rod, is all I need to do (and adjust the valves). Does anyone know of a good tutorial video or diagram for replacing the pushrods? Thank you!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha