lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default YAMAHA DRIVE 2 QUIETECH reviews PLEASE

I cannot find much on this engine, and what little I did find leads me to believe that this engine does have issues with heat and may be troublesome down the road.
Advise PLEASE!
NoTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
ElDiabloJoe
Getting Wild

Default Re: YAMAHA DRIVE 2 QUIETECH reviews PLEASE

I am quite happy with my 2021, and I have not heard or read any negative information. The Quiettech is at least 5 years old now, so there is some kind of track record.

FWIW- Yamaha engines, be they Wave Runners, ATVs, , outboards, motorcycles or golf carts, are well established. IMHO, they're kinda bullet-proof.

Caveat: I am not a mechanic and do not work in a shop that handles Yammis, so I am not acquainted with any negative Yamaha issues. Since your request for reviews has not received any replies yet, I figured I'd give you my amateur impression. I own three Yamaha motors: Golf cart, 175HP outboard, and a PWC and have zero issues with each. FWIW

The only other thing I will say is that although the quiet-tech is quieter than some other gas engines, it is still a far way from being equivalently quiet to an electric cart - despite Yamaha's marketing videos to the contrary.
ElDiabloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #3
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I'm very happy with my 2018. I haven't had any issues with heat that you note in your post. The Yamaha engines are very dependable, they're quiet, they ride smooth, and it's easy to speed them up if that's something you want.
Dflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:17 PM   #4
Godfather
Getting Wild

Our 2018 PTV Drive2 Quietech has been 100% dependable, without any issues or problems whatsoever.
I change oil and clean the air filter regularly. Check fasteners and electrical connections a couple times a season....put StarTron in the gas and all is good.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:03 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Heat? Says who?

I been at this for 13 years yamaha certified (& ezgo certified). Only "heat" issue ever is un-fixed oil leaks clogging up the cooling fins with oil & dust. And oil leaks clogging up the fins are not at all common on that engine, they are made to good specs. (Just use a new valve cover gasket when you do your valve adjustments). That motor is solid, even after years of abuse. Sounds like the club car dealer been whispering in your ear about goofy stories. Only golf cart manufacturer who has always made their own engines? Yamaha....

The only gasser to buy is a yamaha. We dont even stock the others gas models (that we are dealer of) they dont even compare to a yamaha.. they truly take pride in being the best of the brands.

The local high school is still rocking yamahas from the 1980's they got from us, service duty. They do their maintenance like an apartment complex would (like "beat & abuse, never check the oil").
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

On a recent cruise we rented a golf cart in Bonaire. I think the cart we got was a Quietech (I have a G16 and the cart we got was pretty new, fuel injected and very quiet). While we were there driving around in the tropical sun there were no issues and it was a dream to drive. Since the company had a fleet of them, including older models so I assume they have been using Yamaha for years, I have to assume they are pleased with how they perform. That's high praise considering it's a rental market in a constantly windy harsh salt & sand environment.

You could contact Bonaire Cruisers and ask their opinion of them. Everyone I dealt with spoke very good English so you don't have to learn Dutch.
pilotdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks like I may be looking at a Yamaha for my next cart. Thanks all for the responses.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

So I repair golf cars here in the villages Florida. They are not problem free. Id say the use here is a 2-3 years for every year on the outside. They get alot more travel miles.

Clogged spark arrester Secondary clutch issues, belt issues, Fuel pumps, broken motor frame have been more than what I would like to see. Have had a couple of ECM failures.

Been fixing carts for 35 years, I dont like to this type of stuff. The golf car has certainly been over engineered and in years to come you will see a lot of dead carts that will be too costly to repair.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
So I repair golf cars here in the villages Florida. They are not problem free.
My 09 is at the point where it needs work and I am not enjoying the wrench time as I have other things to do.
As for my 09 RXV it gets used ALOT and I mean ALOT. I pull a Swisher Rough Cut machine, roller, plugger and lawn sweeper as well as joy ride with the Grandson and dog. It has been pretty much trouble free up until late and almost purchased a new 2021 Freedom but I need a hitch on the back and the plastic and aluminum did not look adequate enough for a hitch. Last week it was a hub, this week a carb. I just want something new and trouble free again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha