lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Real McCoy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1998 Club Car quit while riding along

I was riding along, everything OK and my 1998 48 volt regen just quit. Coasted over and pushed it off to the side ,which it shouldn't do. Looked, saw nothing, so I continued to push it when the motor brake applied. Got on and it ran OK again for awhile, then quit again. You can push it easily just like the tow switch was on. I copied the wiring diagram posted but it doesn't show my machine exactly. Mine has 2 solenoids. One on the left has a resistor wire and the white A-2 wire and the other one on the right has the red battery wire and a yellow lead that goes to the controller. The left relay clicks when you press the throttle and the reverse buzzer works. I have the machine on stands and the first time you apply the throttle in forward the relay clicks and the motor just starts to turn slightly then quits and makes a faint hum sound which fades. Batteries are all showing 8.45 to 8.50 each, total is 50.4 and I only drove it about 15 minutes when it first quit then another 10 minutes before it quit again. It has 48 volts to A-1 and A-2 at the motor. Any ideas or suggestions on what would cause this.
Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Real McCoy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1998 Club Car quit while riding along

So nobody has a clue on what I need to do?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When it stops is the controller or the solenoid hot to touch?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Real McCoy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It had the rear seat on it then so I couldn't get to it to tell. I have the seat off now. I have done some checks but I don't understand the principal of operation so they tell me nothing. At rest I have 50 volts on a red wire to the rt solenoid. I also have about 48 volts on the yellow wire on the other terminal of that solenoid and I have 48 volts on the white wire to both lugs of the solenoid on the left which has the resister wrap wire. If I push the throttle pedal the lt solenoid clicks and the voltage on the white wire and yellow wire falls to nothing. I have checked the battery wires and they seem fine. If I check the total battery output from the battery ground to the last battery red wire I maintain 50 plus volts even with the throttle pedal pressed and the Lt solenoid energized. But the voltage on the white and yellow leads would have dropped to zero.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

So does it seem to be happening every XX minutes now ?
If it is a heat related problem then the fact it is cooling down for a while may be causing it to work again ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Real McCoy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It has been dead since the second time it stopped. Nothing is hot now and no smells or evidence it was hot then.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Ok time for some battery pack voltage readings ?
Will it charge ?
Take a reading before charging then again 30 min. after the charger has stopped
Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Real McCoy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The batteries were all at 8.45 to 8.50 volts. I did hook up the charger and it was charging but only at mid scale of 7/8 amps so I unhooked it. The total battery pack voltage is over 50 volts.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

OK go up top to the stickies and look at the wiring Diagrams , which one is like your cart ?

There are 3 different locations in the stickies for Diagrams !

It sounds like you are describing a Power Drive Plus Cart !
Old 07-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
Real McCoy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The closest diagram to mine is the 95 to 03 48 volt diagram but mine has another solenoid that dia doesn't show. There are a couple other things missing on that diagram as well. The solenoid that is not shown but is on mine has a large white wire to both main lugs and a resistor wrap between them. I also charged the batteries for about an hour and they read 58 volts total after that. Still did nothing but click the relay with the white wires.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car