lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
RxGuy
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage Regulator???

New to all this...I have an 89 Marathon, it runs great! I am in the process of trying to test/check/fix all that I can to prevent (if possible) trouble down the road. I did not suspect any problem with the charging circuit, but discovered this in the testing process.

The EZGO manual says with the engine running, test the voltage at the battery. The voltage displayed there should be 14.5 - 15.5 if the charging circuit is working correctly. The battery tests at 12.8 volts, once the engine is running and up to speed, the meter starts displaying values from 2 to 15 volts, just cycles crazily, like random voltages. I am in the process of checking wires and connections, but all appear visually to be good.

If the wires all check out, is there anything else that might be causing this, or just get a new voltage regulator?

Thanks
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage Regulator???

first, check the battery in your meter, as even with a shot regulator you should be holding the reading at battery voltage, minimum ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Steady there RxGuy. If the battery is reading 12.8 volts with the engine off then the lowest reading you will see with the engine running is 12.8 (ish) volts. If you are seeing random voltages then you must have a bad connection to the meter. Check your connections and I bet you find that you are getting 15 volts which is spot on.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Hello BCM, looks like we are posting together (with the same sort of answer).

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

How's life been treating you, Amigo? Yeah, here we go again with the same answers to the same questions - some things never change, hahahahaha
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
RxGuy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Steady there RxGuy. If the battery is reading 12.8 volts with the engine off then the lowest reading you will see with the engine running is 12.8 (ish) volts. If you are seeing random voltages then you must have a bad connection to the meter. Check your connections and I bet you find that you are getting 15 volts which is spot on.

Dave
Thanks Dave,

It was the cheap HF multi-tester I had, the connections were good but the meter didn't seem to be able to follow the voltage changes.. I figured I needed a voltmeter gauge on the cart anyways so I went and bought one, installed it and it the voltage is right on the money.

Much appreciated..

Blair
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #7
Macanudo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi All.... any help gratefully accepted. I restored a 1992 Medalist a couple of years ago & report that is still going strong. Just finishing up restoration of 1998 TXT & used it yesterday for first time but it conked out after 16 holes. Was having odd issues with bad connectors so went through the whole ignition & charge circuitry wiring with meter & confirmed wiring is as per diagram & good. I thought I may have an issue with brushes on starter/generator.....so just installed new brushes...Starts perfectly & runs fine but as the problem yesterday was eventually battery related decided to look at charging side....thinking problem maybe regulator...... I see 12.8V across batt when stopped & now see 12.4V across same terminals when running so obviously not charging. Could this be the Regulator ? By the way its a new OEM solenoid. Grateful your inputs.
Macanudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Take the green wire from the center of the voltage regulator, and ground it to the frame.

Test at the battery the same way you were. If voltage climbs, it is a bad regulator.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #9
Macanudo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Cartaround,
I disconnected the green wire from the VR as suggested & grounded it but no change then I checked on circuit diag I realised you probably meant to ground the wire going to the Starter/Gen.... abracadabra...when I grounded that wire the voltage across the battery terminals rose to 14 then 18 or so.... I didnt run it for more than a second or two.... can you confirm that you meant to ground the wire to gen ? thanks for your help.
Macanudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
Camohorse1978
Getting Wild

Yes the green wire on the generator. Not the VR
Camohorse1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO