lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
NBeat
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default What kind of battery do I need!?

What recommendations do you guys have for a replacement battery? Can I use your typical automotive battery or is a deep cycle battery the way to go? Since the cart is stopping and starting all the time, I'd like to get the most appropriate battery for this application. Also, what would be the recommended cold cranking amps? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
NBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: What kind of battery do I need!?

The original in all yamaha gas carts is a "Group 24". I use a AGM in mine (it was expensive), but no corrosion. The max draw while cranking is about 40 amps, so "cranking amps" is not critical with a golf cart (any car battery has a lot more than 40).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
NBeat
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Deep cycle?
NBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Field6565
Gone Wild

I went to walmart and bought the cheapest automotive battery I could find. I think it was $50. That was 4 years ago and still going strong.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Group 24 is not a deep cycle. Deep cycle is not needed for a starting battery, unless you plan on leaving all your accessories on for hours without driving the cart. Mine is also not deep cycle.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would not get a deep cycle unless it was a starting one, which are not really deep cycle. I went to buy a cheap universal battery (just get the one with the posts on the right sides as you need) and found a larger marine battery for $8 more at walmart ($58?), and it works great in my cart. Its around 650 cca maybe? Nice part is the bolts and posts on the top, so I can also bolt on wires/cables for accessories.

I ran my cart on a jumper pack for the fall before that because I would not buy a new battery to store it for a winter. You can buy a little lawn battery and run it if you don't use power with the cart off, but car batteries (~500cca or more) are the only ones that last for many years and you should have power to spare, can jump cars with it if you want. Unless you have a giant subwoofer box and 1Kw amplifiers and party lights on all night lol, or that type stuff. Even the cheapest car battery will last 5-8 years in my experience.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha