lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Default 98 EZ GO has no power...

I'm not positive on the model. I think it's a medalist. It has a Robin EH29C engine. I adjusted the valves to .004 and actually had to disassemble the whole darn top end because one of the intake valves had the retainers pop out on me and the valve fell down on the piston. (Problem was already there before this incident) Anyway, it has no power on take off and won't go more than 3 or 4 mph. Down hill it will get up to proper WOT speed. Also sounds like it's reaching WOT with the rear on jack stands. The battery was very weak when I got it. I charged it up now it's running about 17-18 volts so I may have a bad regulator. I'm trying to determine if I have an engine issue or an electrical issue. Can too much voltage affect engine ignition? Carb was cleaned. I don't see much ability in the way of adjustments on it though.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Default Re: 98 EZ GO has no power...

Since it throttles up good with the rear tires jacked up, I think that rules out any brake or clutch issues. I'm not very familiar with the electrical system on this cart or at least what problems it can cause but whatever the issue, it is magnified by loading the engine. I often see a trail of blue smoke. Not heavy but noticeable. Oil level is correct.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I have read on here that the voltage regulator failing in the direction that yours did puts an extreme load on the engine causing it to slow down.

You could also be looking at a clutch issue, but I would address the voltage regulator first.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I have read on here that the voltage regulator failing in the direction that yours did puts an extreme load on the engine causing it to slow down.

You could also be looking at a clutch issue, but I would address the voltage regulator first.
I believe I need to replace it anyway so I'll get one ordered. I wish I could understand how it affects the engine in this way. I don't suppose you recollect about where in the forum you saw that info do you?
Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It was the guy in post #4. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...ml#post1162023

He says that he fixed it, and then says he didn't. Not sure what to think about it.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

What is your compression? Blue smoke is leaking rings or bad valve seals, or both. Get a good compression reading and lets go from there. The voltage reg may be bad but from my experience, it will produce a "no charge" issue rather than an over charging issue. That isn't in stone but imho, the blue smoke would more readily cause the loss of power. If you follow the service guide, it will step you through both a comp test and a reg test.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Thanks for the tip on the service guide. I'll check this out. I haven't done a compression check. I will need to locate a gauge. I'm trying to recall if I noticed the valve seals. I do remember that when I removed the head to put the valve back in, it easily fell back through the head on the reinstallation. The smoke is not constant but if I keep running the cart in the low power state it's in like for 5 consecutive minutes, this is when a faint trace of smoke begins.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Sounds like seals. Should have given a little resistance until the end of the valve stem cleared the seal.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
SEHunter
Gone Wild

I may need to pull the head again to further inspect. I'm trying to get this cart running for a friend that buys and flips. I think I will get the charging system back in spec then do a compression check and go from there. The cart is a friends who buys and flips. This is one of those deals where I can't afford to throw parts at it because he will have to pay for what I buy. I really don't like fixing other people's junk for this reason but I have a hard time saying no and usually take the chance it's as simple as cleaning or adjusting existing components. Thanks again for the info.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO