lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
jkduty
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New Member: 82 EZGO Marathon resoration advice

Hey guys,

I just joined this group, as I have recently acquired my late grandfathers 82 EZGO Marathon. This was a farm/utility/play cart that my siblings and cousins use to fight over driving as kids. I have more memories on that thing than I can count, and I can't wait for my kids to build their own.

The cart was running until about 8 or so years ago when it threw the starter generator belt. Turns out one of the ears on the starter generator was cracked as well as the mounting bracket. Don't ask me how, other than years of abuse from negligent grandchildren LOL. Nonetheless, I removed them all and told my grandfather to have them repaired and I would put it back together for him. This was about the time my grandfather's dementia started to kick in, quickly followed by Alzheimers. Thus, the cart sat in this condition until we went to clean out the barn after his passing this past spring.

Being a mechanical engineer and having moderate experience modifying cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, you name it; I saw an opportunity to make this old golf cart cool, honoring my grandfather, and creating life-long memories for my children. I've already got a new battery and had the starter generator rebuilt. Next step is to thoroughly go through the fuel system and see if we can get her running again. Once she is running reliably, I'd like to put a decent lift kit on and some larger off-road wheels and tires. The body is showing rust down low, and I'd be interested in a newer body swap if available, otherwise I may just Rhino-line the whole exterior and interior. It also needs a new top, but now I'm toying around with the idea of a roll cage on a different body, if possible. I'd also like to do a large LED light bar, brush guards, and fender flares to protect this thing from future back woods abuse. However some quick searching doesn't seem to turn up much accessories for these models.

So my question to you all is, besides the sentimental value, how much is too much money to put into one of these old carts? Any good bang for the buck performance mods I can/should do while getting it running? Any other good/cheap mods to pursue?

I'm excited to get this going, but don't want to spend a ton of money, yet I'm starting to get intimidated by the lack of aftermarket accessories for this year model, as well as the low prices for other newer, running carts.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!!
jkduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2015, 12:53 AM   #2
uwantsumofthis
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New Member: 82 EZGO Marathon resoration advice

First off your paw-paw sounds like he was a good man. I am deeply sorry for your loss.
Any cart is worth what u put into it, we built some nice marathon's at our shop. Don't b discouraged from building the cart just because of the year.
Things to consider when restoring a cart is how far do u want to get into it. How far do u want to dismantle it and restore, and what do u want to replace or restore?
I'd start by checking the frame for rust. The body can b replaced, I know because I done cut out a few. They r just spot welded and can b drilled and pried off like a car panel. If rust is light, strip it to the frame, sandblast (34$) bucks for a cheap sand blaster at harbor freight. (10$) for the coal to shoot it. 7 cans of rustoleium rust reformer and that's just to start. If frame is bad then u could find these all day off craigs list not running for parts for decent prices.
Consider options u want? There r basic options for these carts. Common options r made for every cart. Most common u see is lift, wheels, back seat, radio, ext. Most after market parts r universal and fit every cart. Then every thing else is a basic restore such as seats, paint on the body, ext.
Unless you want to do a long travel front end, disk brake conversion, or something wild like that then i'd say yes consider one that already has a kit made for it.
Do not tear it down and do nothing with it. I see this more and more every day with the day dreamers in my area. Consider what u r capable of and what u r not capable of. Consider a complete restore takes time, space, and the drive of a beast to get it done. If any r these r lacking, u will b doomed before you start.
If u decide to go with it give me a pm for parts. I have a few lying around. Im not always on here so responses will be slow, but I do respond.
uwantsumofthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
jkduty
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for the kind words and advice! We did call him Paw Paw too, and he was a great man :-)

It sounds like I need to do a more thorough rust inspection before I do anything else. Hopefully the frame is still in good shape, and I can keep the bodywork to a minimum. I don't want to put too much money into it, as it will only be a rarely used toy, but getting it running is essential. I've got some other ideas for low cost mods that should bring it into the 21st century, but I appreciate you reaching out and I'll be sure to let you know if I need anything.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-18-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
misterpowertools
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Before I did disc brakes and a new clutch on mine, I had only about $700 into it. Most of that is tires, wheels and lug nuts!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
misterpowertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
jkduty
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpowertools View Post

Before I did disc brakes and a new clutch on mine, I had only about $700 into it. Most of that is tires, wheels and lug nuts!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I like it!!

Where did you get the roll cage, or did you build it? I'd love to have something like that too, since I need a new top anyway...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO