lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
Russia
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 Ez-Go Gas 244cc-Clutch won't come off, bottom threads damaged

I have a 1987 Ez-go Marathon 244cc that I can't get the clutch off of. With the homemade puller, it seems to be making space between itself and the pulley. I though that the pulley is supposed to come off with the clutch. When I take the puller out, the space between the clutch and puller doesn't go back. It might be 1/4 of an inch. I wanted to get in there and change the crank seals, but at this point, I will save it for another day because they are still good. I would really just like to get the clutch bolt back in and have everything put back together, but my puller damaged the first few threads deep in the clutch where the original screw will screw into and now the screw won't even start into it. My questions are:

-Is the clutch supposed to start separating from the pulley like that?

-Is the 1/4 inch space a big deal

and

-What do I do about those threads so I can get the original bolt to screw in?

Thank for the help!
Russia is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2015, 01:49 AM   #2
uwantsumofthis
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1987 Ez-Go Gas 244cc-Clutch won't come off, bottom threads damaged

Pully and clutch stay together. the clutch puller I got from nivel is a beast. Might even re thread it, but to b on the safe side use a tap to re thread. I think its a close thread 3/4 thread, but I could b wrong. double check.
Use penetrating oil and 1/2 impact. Took me 4 days to remove one that the threads were good on. I worked it a hour every day soaking it with penetrating oil after every time. After the 4th day of working it came loose. The last one I did it came right off working it for about 10 min.
These r tricky, and if the cart is old and sat in weather b ready for war!
uwantsumofthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:59 AM   #3
uwantsumofthis
Not Yet Wild

im sorry I read that wrong.get the right clutch puller that screws in the center of the clutch like a bolt. Remove the clutch before u start trying to run a long tap down to the crankshaft. If the threads on your clutch r rusted, clean them out with a tap or small wire brush before trying to remove the clutch. Remove clutch, tap the bolt hole, or get a machine shop to tap. Change your seal, install your clutch.
uwantsumofthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:11 AM   #4
Russia
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I was missing a step or not. I didn't realize how tough they were to get off. Should I avoid using a propane torch on it?
Russia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ez-go marathon clutch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO