lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
shoprocket
Not Yet Wild

Default boggs down

have a 2004 ezgo txt 4 cycle. really boggs down going uphill. compression is 150 per cylinder. changed plugs, adjusted timing and is going up hill a little better. drive belt is blt 007 # 40515 which is what is recommended, but drove uphill without seat and noticed very loose and not dropping down all the way. should i try next belt size down?
shoprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: boggs down

So it runs fine on flats but just struggles on somewhat steep hills?
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
JohnnyG67
Getting Wild

Club Car

When under load going uphill the secondary or driven pulley should not be opening up too much as it needs the lower gear ratio for the hill. Is the engine itself not feeling as it's pulling as it should (not reaching revs)? Did you try adjusting the valve lash? cleaning the carb? Ethanol really plays havoc in smaller engines. I'm assuming you run a treatment in the gas like Sta-Bil? I'm more a sled guy by experience so I don't know if there is any adjustability on your motor mount to lengthen the distance between the clutches by sliding the motor back or if it's fixed like a sled. The loose belt thing makes me ask. A loose belt will cause you to lose bottom end.
JohnnyG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #4
steve_empire@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Stop on the hill and then see if it accelerates up the hill. This will give it a chance to shift down.
steve_empire@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
shoprocket
Not Yet Wild

if i stop, take it out of gear and put it back in most of the time it goes again. it runs fine with good speed on flat. wondered if i should try a shorter belt
Old 02-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

The most common complaint with golf carts is the same one you are describing right now.. It is nothing less than a HP issue... Think about it.. These carts were designed to carry at a max 2 people and a couple bags of clubs... At a whopping 9 HP it will do great on the gentle rolling slopes of a golf course.. However, the demand and uses for golf carts has increased so... long story short, a shorter belt should give you the results you are looking for... If you have a mechanically sound stock cart (good compression, correct valve lash, proper clutch operation)... and you are only having trouble pulling hills then the belt is a cheap way to get a little power.. You will see some speed loss on the top end but it's not that bad.. Nothing that can't be corrected with a little governor adjustment.... Be sure to make sure your driven clutch is in good shape.. The ramp buttons will wear out and cause issues... Hopes this helps.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:37 PM   #7
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I bet his rear clutch is not closing and is hanging open , he has the correct belt the problem is the clutch not closing due to dirt and wear , i would guess he has never taken it apart and serviced it or the spring is getting weak either way its probably at least needs ramps replaced
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

I agree... I added that comment into my post... There is no doubt that though, if he goes with the shorter belt he will definitely be happier..
Old 02-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
shoprocket
Not Yet Wild

thanks for advice. will try a shorter belt and look into clutch. the belt i have is 42" x1 1/8" any suggestions on what to replace it with and where to look.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
JohnnyG67
Getting Wild

Club Car

A slightly wider belt will stay up in the ramps of the secondary. When a new belt is in on any cvt and the deflection is right you want to see a bit of the belt riding over the top of the sheaves of the secondary by a 1/16 or so when sitting engine off. A weak/old spring in the secondary will allow the sheaves to open too prematurely and in turn not have enough tension to close them for the downshift. The buttons are cheap and the spring shouldn't be a ton either. replacing the spring tho can be tricky, you will need to wind or (clock) the secondary correctly after installing it. There are many examples of this on youtube (clocking a driven pulley) albeit snowmobile secondary but the concept should be the same if you still aren't getting the results you want from the belt.
JohnnyG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO