lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
ksrusl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 EZGO Marathon Noise Issue

1988 EZGO Marathon, with EC25-2PG motor, serial number indicates 1987 motor. Not lifted, starting with upgrades slowly.

First post, lots of info on the site, but trying to figure out where to start with my issue. I purchased the golf cart a couple years back, starts and runs fine, but the only issue, it sounds like a bucket of bolts coming down the street.

First thing I looked at was the engine. I was told it was rebuilt a year before I purchased it, it starts immediately, so I didn't mess with that part. However, after inspection under the seat, I uncovered a broken mount on the muffler, broken mount on the starter and the engine vibration isolators were all shot.

So last year I took the motor out, and the mount, installed the new isolators. Welded the mounts back together, thinking that would fix majority of my sound issues.

The muffler when I had it out sounded like the plates were loose on the inside, made lots of noise when moving it around. At the time of reinstall, I didn't have a new muffler, so I reinstalled it. Bringing me back to this site to seek out suggestions.

Since it is still making lots of noise, I am guessing my next step is the muffler or clutch. I am leaning towards muffler, what are your thoughts on this and any places suggested for purchase of new or some way to repair old? The 1988 one is a special one from my research.

One other issue that I have is a little sloppy steering. I have taken it down to the rack and pinion, and seems the slop is in the shaft going to the steering wheel, where they are pinned together. Has anyone see this as being normal?

Thanks, Kevin
ksrusl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
ksrusl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 EZGO Marathon Noise Issue

Cut the muffler apart this past weekend. Found that one of the baffles became disconnected, one of the tubes was also disconnected from the other baffle. I welded the baffle and tubes. That removed the rattle, but I still have a loud noise coming from the engine. Any suggestions to look next?
Old 06-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
ksrusl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Video with the noise as I tried describing. Another issue that I found, the motor isolators in the rear has already become broken, disconnected from rubber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZL-CrpeKvY
Any suggestions to look at would be appreciated.

Kevin
Old 06-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
Cheezygo
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

My 2pg sounds like that also. I was thinking my connecting rod big end bearing was shot, I know it was pretty loose when I rebuilt it 5 years ago... Still running though.
Cheezygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
ksrusl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am at the point of just ignoring the loudness, guess no one can steal my cart without me knowing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO